Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

question about selling truck with shell or without.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
ecriv has a spectacular aura aboutecriv has a spectacular aura about

ecriv's Tacoma Gallery
question about selling truck with shell or without.

hey, 1st post as a brand new Tacoma owner. well, it's a used '09 - but i'm new to this forum. Such great advice & mods on here so far - i love it when people are such huge fans of their vehicles... reinforces my purchase even more :-]
anyway... I'm selling my old truck [05 Tundra DC 2wd] and i have the SnugTop Super Sport on there.
My question is, do most used truck buyers prefer to have the shell on or is it more worth my while to sell is separately?
thanks in advance for any advice & thanks for all the great Tacoma inspiration.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Depends 100% on the potential buyer. Some like the shells, some hate them. If you sell if separately, it could sit for months before you find a buyer or could be gone the minute you list it for sale. I'd probably sell it on the truck and not deal with the hassle of selling it separately.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
ecriv has a spectacular aura aboutecriv has a spectacular aura about

ecriv's Tacoma Gallery
thanks

Thats what i'm thinking too. My local shell dealer will take old shells as trade in's but then i would have the hassle of trying to 'deliver' the tundy shell in the taco - that right there probably isn't worth the peanuts i'd get on a trade in.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Depends 100% on the potential buyer. Some like the shells, some hate them. If you sell if separately, it could sit for months before you find a buyer or could be gone the minute you list it for sale. I'd probably sell it on the truck and not deal with the hassle of selling it separately.

What he said...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecriv View Post
hey, 1st post as a brand new Tacoma owner. well, it's a used '09 - but i'm new to this forum. Such great advice & mods on here so far - i love it when people are such huge fans of their vehicles... reinforces my purchase even more :-]
anyway... I'm selling my old truck [05 Tundra DC 2wd] and i have the SnugTop Super Sport on there.
My question is, do most used truck buyers prefer to have the shell on or is it more worth my while to sell is separately?
thanks in advance for any advice & thanks for all the great Tacoma inspiration.
Post a feeler thread for your shell and see if you get any interest.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
sioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud of

sioux_hockey_guy's Tacoma Gallery
If your going with a private sale try to include it in the price and be done with it. If you're trading in, it'd be worth your time removing it and trying to sell seperately. Ususally you will not get a higher price for your trade because of the topper because of what everyone else is saying....It will depend on the eventual buyer.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I sold my old ranger back in the day and the buyer didn't want the shell so I took it off. 3 years later it was still in my backyard and I couldn't find a buyer.. Ended up giving it to some guy I found driving a ranger that would fit it. He was happy for the free shell, I was pissed I lost out on that money.

Sell it with the shell and let the buyer deal with it if they don't like it.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
glk21c is on a distinguished road

glk21c's Tacoma Gallery
I posted a feeler thread about this very issue a few months back. Wound up getting a few responses, eventually sold the cap to one of them. In my case I was looking at trading in my Tacoma, and I knew the dealer would give me NO additional value for having cap on the truck.

Good luck