Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Window tinting shop won't tint beyond what's 'legal'..

Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Derp, Derp Derp
hats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sonia
hats009's Tacoma Gallery
Window tinting shop won't tint beyond what's 'legal'..

I was thinking of tinting the front two windows, respectively 20% as I somewhat like my privacy and have driven cars with 20% even knowing the laws and difficulty seeing at night.
I contacted a top rated window tinting shop in my area regarding the front two windows. The guy is apparently really pissy about the laws. I understand they want to cover themselves, but damn, it is pretty amusing.
This is the reply after I had asked him a couple of questions and stated I wanted 20%.

"The front doors are not legal to have tinted unless the film and glass combined allows a Visible Light Transmittance of 70% or greater. The problem is most factory glass is already around 75% VLT so only a clear film can be legally installed. If you have a medical prescription letter from a skin or eye doctor, you can legally have up to 35% VLT but not allowed to drive the car at night.

With that said, if you want to tint the front doors to try and match the rears, whether it be dark or shiny, we will not do that for our customers because you will only bs asking for trouble. Going with something light like 50% is like driving 10 mph over the posted speed limit. Going with something like 20% or darker to try and match the back is like telling the police that you don't care about the law and I know you will get cited unless you work for law enforcement.
"

What do y'all think?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see the problem
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
you can't bag on a business for following the law

"Why the fuck wont you sell coke in here? It's wal-mart! Everyone does it!"
Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's a smart shop. Why would he want to deal with sue crazy, whining people after they get pulled over and cited or crash. He obviously knows what he is doing and weeds out the assholes.

Pick up a phone and talk to him. Putting stuff in writing (e-mail) asking him to do illegal shit to your truck is stupied
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Super Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Grayson
Super Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The laws in cali suck. i would just take it to another shop and see if they will do it. or try and do like 35% on the front thats what i did, it looks good and have never had a problem from the law for it.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
thats a surprisingly smart shop BUT at the same time very unusual of a tint company to do. Most tint companies in AZ will do whatever you want as long as you pay cash and there is no paper trail to their business for the "oh shit" momments
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
x2 don't they have places where they don't have tint laws like AZ? Can't you go there and get it tinted during one of your "constant traveler" trips Not trying to be a dick..was being serious lol

EDIT Go ducks! Screw the Beavers!!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
x2 don't they have places where they don't have tint laws like AZ? Can't you go there and get it tinted during one of your "constant traveler" trips Not trying to be a dick..was being serious lol
az has tint laws. its just stupid freaking sunny and hot in the summer the tint laws are a little lax when it comes to cops enforcing them
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds right. I was going to have my wife's car done with illegal tint here in NC. I went to a tint shop and they told me they wouldn't do it because its considered illegal. He also told me that he could have problems with the police if someone told them that his shop installed the tint to the car that received the ticket.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
thats a surprisingly smart shop BUT at the same time very unusual of a tint company to do. Most tint companies in AZ will do whatever you want as long as you pay cash and there is no paper trail to their business for the "oh shit" momments

like OP asking him to break the law via an e-mail
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
They are just covering their asses and trying to keep their business open some shops will go lower that legal but make you sign a waiver before they do it. If you want it dark bad enough it isn't *that* hard to do you just need to do a little reading on how to shrink the tint with a heat gun and go slow, or just find a shop that will do it darker than legal.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you even want to do it your just asking for trouble. You're eventually just going to have to remove it anyway.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
windowtinter is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
windowtinter's Tacoma Gallery
My man is just being honest..Ive almost got to the point where i dont want to tint anything darker then legal for anyone either. We have to have yearly inspections here and the DMV has really cracked down on inspectors to where they wont even think of passing it for you. Now DMV is getting sneaky acting like a customer trying to bust us for going darker then legal. You can find someone to do it, just dont call them or email asking if they will put 20 on, ask face to face or we get paranoid,lol..
Old 02-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Almost there

go there in person, get the tint you want without a paper trail just be prepared to be haggled by the cops doing their job. end story.

you want something done illegally, get prepared to pay to get it done, then pay the ticket, THEN pay to get it removed to have a picture for the court THEN pay to have it done again the right way lol
Old 02-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
Derp, Derp Derp
hats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sonia
hats009's Tacoma Gallery
I guess i'm just a rebel and hate being told 'blah blah blah' about the law when I am willing to pay a company.
and here I am complaining about the same thing that I hate people complaining about my business for when I try and do the right thing.
I get it. but I don't care about getting cited.
is all.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
When I got my windows tinted on the car I had before this truck I inquired about possibly going to 5%. They shop said that they had the capabilities to do it, but if I got in trouble for it, they had no idea who I was. Shops can potentially get in trouble for it I guess, though I have no idea what the punishment would be.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Wow OP . Don't be bagging on a business for following the law. If you want your privacy go in the back seat.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
When I got my windows tinted on the car I had before this truck I inquired about possibly going to 5%. They shop said that they had the capabilities to do it, but if I got in trouble for it, they had no idea who I was. Shops can potentially get in trouble for it I guess, though I have no idea what the punishment would be.

you crash and kill someone or hurt yourself and then sue them for everything they have saying "I didn't know it was illegal"...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #20
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP-Look for wheel shops, stereo shops, stuff like that. There are shops that will do whatever you want to your windows.