1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Battery?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Lazylegs, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    This eve while hooking up my back up lights. My battery died.
    I had the emergency brake set and the truck in reverse, the ignition
    switch was in the ACC position for about ten minutes. I went to start the
    truck and then the battery was drained. Any thoughts? Should I take it back to the dealer and request a new battery? Or just go pick up a Optima?

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Seems way to fast for it to have died like that, I can leave my stereo on loud with the truck off for like over 45 mins and no problem

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    Lazylegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    That is what I thought. I was listenting to the radio, but nothing else was on! More money... I just put 100.00 in the oil and filter change yesterday..

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    X2, ya OP, something is not right about that. Bad battery or something draining the shit out of it.

5. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    Charge it up and see if it holds a charge 1st, then decide if u need a new battery. Is kindve weird It drained as fast as you said it did.

6. Feb 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    Lazylegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    it is dead again..I have a Marine battery that I jump it off. Maybe I should just put the Gel battery in. Could it be the quick change in the weather?

To cold outside now to be messing with this ..GRRRRR:confused:

7. Feb 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Temp shouldn't effect it that much. From my experience, it has to be pretty damn cold to really mess with the battery. Talking below 0 and whatnot.

8. Feb 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    Lazylegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    When I bought the truck off the showroom floor they had to boost the battery. I guess that maybe I should have asked if they would change the battery put for me. Hindsight is a terrible thing at times.

I thought it was the cables. Cables are tight and look like they are still new. Can it be that I am pulling to many amps for the alternator? Too many lights? Naah never enough of em..

9. Feb 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Take it back and have them test the battery. Most dealerships have a capacitive battery tester which only requires 20% charge to assess health.
    To check your parasitic draw(key off, everything else off), put an ammeter from the positive cable to the battery terminal, then remove the cable while keeping both leads connected. An aligator clip on the cable helps. You should have a very small Milliamp draw. IIRC, 40ma or less.
    If you can't hold the leads on, do it with the cable disconnected, and wait for the computer to reset. Read the draw after 1min or so.
    Your battery is toast, but you may have other issues. Don't assume it's only the battery.

Products Discussed in

To Top