Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Truck Battery?

Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Angry Truck Battery?

This eve while hooking up my back up lights. My battery died.
I had the emergency brake set and the truck in reverse, the ignition
switch was in the ACC position for about ten minutes. I went to start the
truck and then the battery was drained. Any thoughts? Should I take it back to the dealer and request a new battery? Or just go pick up a Optima?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
This eve while hooking up my back up lights. My battery died.
I had the emergency brake set and the truck in reverse, the ignition
switch was in the ACC position for about ten minutes. I went to start the
truck and then the battery was drained. Any thoughts? Should I take it back to the dealer and request a new battery? Or just go pick up a Optima?
Seems way to fast for it to have died like that, I can leave my stereo on loud with the truck off for like over 45 mins and no problem
Old 02-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That is what I thought. I was listenting to the radio, but nothing else was on! More money... I just put 100.00 in the oil and filter change yesterday..
Old 02-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark View Post
Seems way to fast for it to have died like that, I can leave my stereo on loud with the truck off for like over 45 mins and no problem
X2, ya OP, something is not right about that. Bad battery or something draining the shit out of it.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
Charge it up and see if it holds a charge 1st, then decide if u need a new battery. Is kindve weird It drained as fast as you said it did.
it is dead again..I have a Marine battery that I jump it off. Maybe I should just put the Gel battery in. Could it be the quick change in the weather?

To cold outside now to be messing with this ..GRRRRR
Old 02-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
it is dead again..I have a Marine battery that I jump it off. Maybe I should just put the Gel battery in. Could it be the quick change in the weather?

To cold outside now to be messing with this ..GRRRRR
Temp shouldn't effect it that much. From my experience, it has to be pretty damn cold to really mess with the battery. Talking below 0 and whatnot.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #8

When I bought the truck off the showroom floor they had to boost the battery. I guess that maybe I should have asked if they would change the battery put for me. Hindsight is a terrible thing at times.

I thought it was the cables. Cables are tight and look like they are still new. Can it be that I am pulling to many amps for the alternator? Too many lights? Naah never enough of em..
Old 02-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back and have them test the battery. Most dealerships have a capacitive battery tester which only requires 20% charge to assess health.
To check your parasitic draw(key off, everything else off), put an ammeter from the positive cable to the battery terminal, then remove the cable while keeping both leads connected. An aligator clip on the cable helps. You should have a very small Milliamp draw. IIRC, 40ma or less.
If you can't hold the leads on, do it with the cable disconnected, and wait for the computer to reset. Read the draw after 1min or so.
Your battery is toast, but you may have other issues. Don't assume it's only the battery.