Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

How do I talk my stubborn mom out of buying a Jeep?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Derp, Derp Derp
hats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sonia
hats009's Tacoma Gallery
How do I talk my stubborn mom out of buying a Jeep?

My mom is looking for a reasonably priced 4 wheel vehicle and is pretty insistent that it be 'american made' for whatever reason, she is on that patriotic kick.
It kills me, knowing how much the parts cost and the maintenance that would be ahead of her that she is ultimately trying to avoid by buying new...
Anyway, she didn't rave about her test drive at the jeep dealer which was a good thing.
I am trying to give her tips on how Toyota's last forever and are forgiving to work on. I was suggesting a 4 Runner and of course a double cab Tacoma; though I think she'd like the 4 Runner better.

What solid facts can I give her on why not to buy that other junk?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The Tacoma is built in California, which makes it American made.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
tell her to read the book "the choice" by russell roberts. will forever change her mind about that "buying american is patriotic" bullshit.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Let her buy whatever the hell she wants.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma is actually built in San Antonio by American hands using American steel (I believe that last one is true). I visited the factory last year...

Jeep is now owned by an Italian company, and I can send her the million work orders I had over the twelve years of owning my (American made) Wrangler. =o)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Let her buy a Jeep. Jeeps are cool.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Which Jeep is she wanting? Wranglers are bad ass. Anything else really isn't worth getting these days.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Which Jeep is she wanting? Wranglers are bad ass. Anything else really isn't worth getting these days.
I will say that a friend of mines mom just got a brand new (2011 or 2012) Cherokee i think. and the interior on that thing is pretty up to date. Dunno shit about performance or whatever, but from the 5 mins i sat inside it was pretty comfy. More luxury than badass tho
Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you were to succeed in talking a woman into buying a certain car, you would be the first to hear about it when said car starts having issues. And she just might hate whatever you talked her into, problems or not. I recommend you step back and watch.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
So she want to "buy american" huh? Cool, tell her to throw away her TV, Microwave, DVD/Bluray Player, curling iron, blow dryer and every other damn thing thing she owns cause guess what!!!..... chances are....NONE OF IT WAS MADE HERE IN AMERICA!!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Let her buy a Jeep, then refuse to go pick her up when it breaks down? Ha, I don't know.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
"I understand the Jeep thing, that's why I drive a Toyota"
Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
chicka chicka, yeah!
mclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant future

Air Force: 4A271
Name: Jake
mclovin's Tacoma Gallery
true story, my dad had a 4 door wrangler with the mopar 3" lift, 285's it was gorgeous... anyway. some dude ironically enough in a tacoma, slammed into the front driver side wheel well. didn't look that bad, ended up totaling the jeep but from what i understand the tacoma had minor damage and was able to drive away under its own power... all the proof you need right there...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
true story, my dad had a 4 door wrangler with the mopar 3" lift, 285's it was gorgeous... anyway. some dude ironically enough in a tacoma, slammed into the front driver side wheel well. didn't look that bad, ended up totaling the jeep but from what i understand the tacoma had minor damage and was able to drive away under its own power... all the proof you need right there...
That means nothing. Way too many variables.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Well I suppose it really matters WHY she wants the jeep vs any other american made SUV. If she wants a nice interior and a comfy ride there's plenty of other things that will work. Ford's been stepping up their game lately and I'd have a look at them.

But anyone asking about a jeep I assume is wanting it for some sort of performance aspect. It should be noted that when I hear "jeep" I automatically think WRANGLER since that's the only real jeep made these days as far as I'm concerned. I still miss the Rubicons with the straight 6. Those things, STOCK, can tackle just about anything.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Really depends what kind of Jeep. If its a new Grand Cherokee those things are awesome. Theyre gorgeous inside and out. If i didnt want a pickup bed and something i dont mind getting dirty id be driving a new Limited or Overland with the Hemi.

That being said perhaps have her check out a Rav4 too. No sense in pointing her towards a Tacoma if she has zero use for a truck. Also might be worth explaining that just because its an American brand doesnt mean its made here.

Ultimately its her descision and she should get what she wants, not what you want her to get.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If someone is a "Jeep Person", then let them get their Jeep. Trying to talk a Jeep nut out of buying a Jeep is like trying to convince the hardcore Tacoma nuts on this site to buy a Dodge. Some people just have it in their minds that certain brands are better to others (some are actually backed up by non-bias proof, most just by personal experience).
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
i've had one cherokee and 4 wranglers, including an 05 rubicon LJ with the straight 6. i consider myself a "jeep" person and have had pretty decent success with all of my jeeps. i've also had a 4 runner and now, my tacoma. love(d) them both too.

if your mom wants a jeep, let her get the jeep. the new cherokees are among the nicest vehicles out there in their class and highly rated by numerous sources (since you mentioned 4runner i "assume" she is shopping the cherokee). i don't know how long your mom plans on keeping it, but there isn't going to be any out of pocket during the warranty period except for oil changes and the like and those are cheap enough. if she is worried about after that, buy a no deductible extended warranty for however long. problem solved.