1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

brake issue on ranger

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by blackonwhite, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dec 8, 2008 at 10:06 PM
    blackonwhite

blackonwhite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 white tacoma black 17' ssr wheels
    put new brakes on my buddys 2000 ford ranger 4 wdrive front discs back drums.......anyways... got done and he droveit for about a day and it was perfectly fine... then earlier he told me that when he put it in drive it felt like the brakes were locked up....so i drove it to the shop where i work... and surre enough the right rear drum was tight ..not locked up yet but rubbing hard hard..... when i first installed it i slid the drum on and it was barely rubbing if any... the back brakes have self adjusters on them but i kno i hooked up evrything right .. i know it..and everything was still on when i pulled the drum off... . so i loosened the brake some and slid the drum back on and everything works fine as of now..does anyone have any idea why it would tightened itself....and the only brake rubbing was that one...... or can anyone find a schematic of the rear drums online for this truck i had no luck ...

2. Dec 8, 2008 at 10:07 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
  3. Dec 8, 2008 at 10:10 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I see your buddy's problem. He is driving a Ford Ranger.

I wish I could help!

4. Dec 8, 2008 at 10:20 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
  5. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:28 AM
    blackonwhite

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ...i drove the truck after i got done and it was fine.. i slammed the brakes on multiple times... didnt leave any rubber ... but i made sure they worked...and they did.. and no i didnt clean them completely or anything they werent really dirty.... or to the point that it stood out.... and i drove th truck in reverse and slammed the brkes on also... i have no idea what it could be.. maybe it wont ever happen again.... but as for the ford jokes.. i tried to post this once before but it didnt post .. but on the end of my first one it said... " anybody have any ideas .. other than its a ford ranger" lol .... new they were coming hahahahaa no biggy

6. Dec 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM
    blackonwhite

Member:
    Vehicle:
    hey thanks phanton.... never thought of the rivet or delamination.. and the drums were fine .... didnt even need turned... but like i said so far so good... prolly wont happen again just worried about it cause i did the work and dont want him thinking im a dumbass and screwed him even though it was free..heck i even bought the front rotors for him lol ...

7. Dec 13, 2008 at 6:54 PM
    blackonwhite

Member:
    Vehicle:
    hey phantom.. i think i figured out the problem on the brakes... the emergency brake cable was sticking and wasnt allowing the shoes to come completely back together on the top pin.... in turn allowing them to rock back and forth allowing the adjuster to over compensate ..... fixed it i believe so thanks for the help though....really appreciate it

Products Discussed in

To Top