Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Cleaning spare gas tank

Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Wizard Sleeve Master
Amo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Amo-cat3's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning spare gas tank

Quick question - I have a 6 gallon poly gas tank that i used for mixing two stroke oil and gas. It's been sitting empty for 2 years in my shed. I want to clean it out so i can keep fresh gas in it for the Tacoma. How should i clean/rinse it out, or is it tainted and should not be used for fresh gas for the truck?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Was there a cap on it, is it clean inside and you're just worried about the 2-stroke oil? If so, empty it out and fill it with gas. That tiny bit of 2-stroke oil residue on the walls shouldn't be an issue.

If it's dirty, rinse it with water and make sure it's completely dry before putting gas in. If there's a sludge on the bottom, use something like carb cleaner to dissolve the sludge and again make sure it's dry before putting fuel in.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Just dump the old gas out and refill with fresh gas...the little bit of oil shouldn't make a difference.

Howard