LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Need help from people who know carb'd v8's

Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
DSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kerri
DSMissed's Tacoma Gallery
Need help from people who know carb'd v8's

This is a 79 Toyota rock crawler that is powered by a 350 with an edelbrock carb. Or.. is not so much powered by it now, since it doesn't run now...

I drive it every weekend, and it always started kinda hard in cold weather, could be sluggish driving at times acting kinda gutless. I know there was something wrong and I was trying to find the culprit, but I don't know carbs AT ALL, or distributors, points, etc.

Today it fired and ran a while, then stalled and I've tried 3 hours now and it refuses to run. It will fire a little while the starter is rolling, but it won't actually run by itself. I changed the plugs today, gapped at .45 (thats what the old plugs were) with no change.

Has an inline fuel filter just before the carb, and there is fuel on either side of the filter, so the carb is definitely getting fuel.

I think I've narrowed it down tho, I had both carb screws turned out 2 turns, and after cranking a while, the plugs on the passenger side were soaked with fuel, the ones on the drivers side were dry. I did notice a burn mark on one of the plug wires on the ds too. Its an edelbrock 600cfm carb.

Any ideas or suggestions? I was planning on getting it to a shop, but I can't do that if it isn't running
Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Is the ignition stock?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
DSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to behold
Well... maybe I should take a picture of it.. but the distributor cap is black, I imagine it is stock?

I didn't build this truck, I actually traded a dirt bike for it, so I don't know much about it.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMissed View Post
Well... maybe I should take a picture of it.. but the distributor cap is black, I imagine it is stock?

I didn't build this truck, I actually traded a dirt bike for it, so I don't know much about it.
If the ignition is stock, gap the plugs at .035, and see if that works. Most .045 gaps are for a carbed engine, with a high power ignition, like MSD.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
MSD would be red, right? Should I take a picture of it to be sure? It ran fine before on the .45 gap, so even if that isn't the correct gap, I don't think thats the problem now..
Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
MSD would be red, right? Should I take a picture of it to be sure? It ran fine before on the .45 gap, so even if that isn't the correct gap, I don't think thats the problem now..
Im starting with the simple things first. I would check the gap. If it runs on the smaller gap, then you have an ignition issue, and can address that.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
It's not igniting correctly...??....Don't forget to change the wires too or check for corrosion. Hows the timing?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Can I regap and clean the fuel fouled plugs?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Can I regap and clean the fuel fouled plugs?
I would.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
It's not igniting correctly...??....Don't forget to change the wires too or check for corrosion. Hows the timing?
I have a timing light and intended to use it if I could figure the thing out. But now that it isn't running I don't know how I could check timing? I will be replacing the wires since there is one that is slightly melted from touching a header.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #11

You might also consider taking a peice of fine sand paper (220 grit) to the rotor, and points, and sand off any burn marks.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I once had an older model truck that ran funny like this, she was very selective about her timing.
I have a bad habit of over thinking things so I try to always start with the basics.
You need Fuel, and fire.

Gap your plugs as Chris recommended, then check to see if you are getting good even spray out of the jets on the carb.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I would.
Ok. Lol, no offense, but I read your sig and I'm losing hope that the plug gap will make a difference, since it is so simple lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Ok. Lol, no offense, but I read your sig and I'm losing hope that the plug gap will make a difference, since it is so simple lol.
LOL!!! Yes, but its best to start with the simple things, and work your way into the more tecnical shit.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You might also consider taking a peice of fine sand paper (220 grit) to the rotor, and points, and sand off any burn marks.
Ok, I am female, so hopefully that will excuse my lack of knowledge, lol. But those are directly under the cap, or do I need to dig deeper to find them? I need a Chilton....
Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Ok, I am female, so hopefully that will excuse my lack of knowledge, lol. But those are directly under the cap, or do I need to dig deeper to find them? I need a Chilton....
The rotor and points are inside the distributer cap.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I once had an older model truck that ran funny like this, she was very selective about her timing.
I have a bad habit of over thinking things so I try to always start with the basics.
You need Fuel, and fire.

Gap your plugs as Chris recommended, then check to see if you are getting good even spray out of the jets on the carb.
I have no idea how to check timing when it isn't running, and I also have no idea how to check the jets on the carb. Do I need to take it apart for that? Again... very sorry for the lack of knowledge here...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use being female as an excuse. You can learn and do it just as good as any man. It's under the cap.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #19

Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
I have to stick up for myself in the sense that I know my small engines and fuel injection... I can tear apart a 4g63 and put it back together and in the car over a weekend... but this carbed v8 stuff is totally new to me, this is my first.