Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Oil and Transmission Drain Plug Confusion

Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Oil and Transmission Drain Plug Confusion

My local dealer had a Corolla displayed sideways to advertise rustproofing. I couldn't help noticing the similarity between the oilpan and transmission drain plugs. If you thought the Taco was bad... From what I can tell the smaller pan is for the engine, while the larger pan is the tranny, because of the driveshafts coming out of it.

Attached Thumbnails
Oil and Transmission Drain Plug Confusion-02222012-006-.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The Taco is so easy and so is this. Look where the driveaxle goes into. Ir isn't going into the engine.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^ Seems perfectly logical, doesn't it? Yet a couple of experienced people on TW have done it. And the Taco's drain plugs have more distinction between them. I think a lot of people don't get under their vehicles far enough to get a look at the oil pan, especially on a car with low ground clearance. Instead, they fit a wrench over the most prominent bolt and start turning...
Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
It's so easy for Toyota to add labels to the plugs, I don't understand why they don't.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^ Seems perfectly logical, doesn't it? Yet a couple of experienced people on TW have done it. And the Taco's drain plugs have more distinction between them. I think a lot of people don't get under their vehicles far enough to get a look at the oil pan, especially on a car with low ground clearance. Instead, they fit a wrench over the most prominent bolt and start turning...
Yeah but I don't understand how anyone could fuck up an oil change on a 2nd gen. Just look where the pan is at. Typically engines are not under the vehicle body unless you drive a Previa or Astro.

Just seems like only a derp would screw it up. I'm not genius myself but I can tell what pan is to what component.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Meanwhile, another TW member's wife drove the truck in the middle of an oil change, with the oil filter missing. She didn't get very far...
Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foihdzas View Post
My wife can change my oil ... nuff said
Mine can too since I installed a Fumoto valve
Old 02-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
The other common thing (other than the oil plug being under the engine haha) is most oil plugs are on an angle and the vast majority of trans drain plugs are parallel to the ground.