Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

CA DMV Registration help: Share you knowledge please

Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
CA DMV Registration help: Share you knowledge please

So I've been tasked with trying to sell my father's 94' Chevy Dually 3500. It hasn't been registered (and thus drive) since 08'

Anyone know the ins and outs about what the potential new owner has to do in order to re-register it? I know since it's a 3500 dually the weight fees will be a lot but are there any penalties that the new owner would have to pay/would my father be responsible for any penalty fees?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
If it was not put on a non-op, then penalties and back registration will be due before the buyer can register.
Dad should take the high road and take care of this... seller is responsible for smogging it anyways.
Weight fee and registration is a given.
Sales tax and VLF are based on the sale price. DMV clerk may or may not ask for a bill of sale, but if Dad fills in the sale amount on the back of the title, that's what they'll go by.... but those are all issues for the buyer.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Damn, well if that is the case then the truck isn't worth anything; after back registration fees are due, what he'd get for the truck wouldn't probably cover that cost.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
you can go to the dmv site and see what you owe. you sell a car and say its buyers responsibility to handle any issues or fees. rich must be a cop or a dmv employee froa response like that (no offense rich). dont let those assholes at or from the dmv rip you off. when i sell a car i tell the buyer any issues or fees due. its on them if they want to pay. glws
Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedoola View Post
Damn, well if that is the case then the truck isn't worth anything; after back registration fees are due, what he'd get for the truck wouldn't probably cover that cost.
If that's really the case, the price of steel is supposed to be up right now. My boss goes to the salvage yard regularly, he says they are paying $1,000 bucks for any junk vehicle right now. A 3500 dually probably would be more.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I hear ya... I bought a '95 Suburban for $2200 and dumped it a year later for $1100.
Put over $3k into that POS in that year.
Luckily the SUV doesn't have the weight fee and commercial tags so the renewal was cheap (but annual insurance doubled it's value).
Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
you can go to the dmv site and see what you owe. you sell a car and say its buyers responsibility to handle any issues or fees. rich must be a cop or a dmv employee froa response like that (no offense rich). dont let those assholes at or from the dmv rip you off. when i sell a car i tell the buyer any issues or fees due. its on them if they want to pay. glws
Nope... just a traffic signal electrician.
But the OP was asking what the deal is... and if he doesn't take care of it, the buyer is going to be stuck with a turd sandwich.
It's fine to come to an agreement with the buyer that he will cover the back registration and fees... but it's a shitty thing to do to sell it without disclosing that and about how much it will be.

The only way out would be to sell it to a buyer out of state (and I've heard that the DMV is still able to block the new registration until fees are paid) or to someone who will use it on a farm/ranch and won't need to tag it.

But definitely send in the "notice of sale" form... if the buyer can't/won't register it, it'll remain in Dad's name and if the buyer takes it out on the road and gets into an accident, they'll be coming for Dad.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/renewalForm.do

Just plug in your info and it will tell you exactly how much is due.
thanks, I had tried this before but got this message:

"Unable to determine registration fees due. Current application in process."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Nope... just a traffic signal electrician.
But the OP was asking what the deal is... and if he doesn't take care of it, the buyer is going to be stuck with a turd sandwich.
It's fine to come to an agreement with the buyer that he will cover the back registration and fees... but it's a shitty thing to do to sell it without disclosing that and about how much it will be.

The only way out would be to sell it to a buyer out of state (and I've heard that the DMV is still able to block the new registration until fees are paid) or to someone who will use it on a farm/ranch and won't need to tag it.

But definitely send in the "notice of sale" form... if the buyer can't/won't register it, it'll remain in Dad's name and if the buyer takes it out on the road and gets into an accident, they'll be coming for Dad.
indeed, I told this to one guy who was interested, in the interest of full disclosure. My dad is going down to the DMV tomorrow to get the info.

thanks for the info Rich, and everyone else.