Since I spend most of my forum time on here, and I know you guys appreciate builds all of all different kinds, I figured I'd throw this up here.
This is the money pit that is the reason my Tacoma is stock. This was my 1st car (bought it when I was 13). 1965 Mustang w/ 289 V8, C4 auto, red on red. Only major option the car had was A/C (doesn't work anymore).
When I bought it, it was wrecked, didn't run, and was in general rough shape. It had sat in OK for about 25 years, so thankfully it wasn't too rusted. We did the body work, rebuilt the engine and transmission, redid the brakes, threw some wheels on it, and I drove it. The suspension, rear end, and other misceallaneous items were never touched. Sorry, I don't have any pics from back then (they're all film, no scanner handy). End of 2010, I got a wild hair to totally overhaul the car. New rear end, suspension, brakes, wiring, and full chassis restoration. What you see below is the progress. I'll try to update as things get done, especially if there is interest. Sorry for the pics, they're all cell phone, and I'm the type that tends to take pictures as I complete something, not as I go along.
Car as it sat the weekend before disassembly started.
First thing I did was rewire the engine and front lights, as well as replace all the steering components. Everything went back stock, with the exception of the steering idler and pitman arms, which are the Shelby ones (quicker steering).
Then came the big stuff. First thing to go was old and tired 8 inch rear end, old leaf springs, gas tank, and rear wiring.
Old rear end:
Gas tank removed:
Then it was time to clean. A previous owner had undercoated the car, and it was nasty. So I spent hours upon hours scraping off old undercoating, grime, and paint. Followed by 2 coats primer, and 2 coats Eastwood Chassis Satin Black paint.
During cleaning/primer. The gray/brown color at the bottom right of the picture is what the whole underside looked like before.
And after the Eastwood Chassis Paint is applied. Appears to have more sheen in the photo than in person, but I'm very pleased with the results, especially for a car that is 100% driver, not a show car.
Bought a 9 inch housing on CL, had it basted and powdercoated satin black. It came with axles and a rear diff, also. Had the axles rebuilt, and the diff is currently at the shop getting built with a 3.25 LSD. The rear suspension was upgraded to 4.5 leaf mideye springs (1.5 extra leafs for better handling, mideye to reduce ride height appx 1") and I added CalTrac traction bars. Also installed new stainless steel gas tank.
Detailed the rear diff. Was covered in grease and grime before. Will touch it up if needed when it gets back from the shop.
And finally, front end is off the car, so I can keep cleaning/painting and replace the front suspension.
Just a comparison shot so you can see what an area looks like before it gets cleaned and after. The front end of the car is 100x cleaner than the rear/bottom were.
That's it for now. I've ordered front suspension (Shelby spec, essentially) and hope to get that installed within the next month. After that, 4 wheel disc brakes go on (13" front, 11.65" rear), followed by 17" American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels in polished finish, and other misc. items (fuel lines, brake lines, wiring, etc). Hope you guys enjoy...I'll try and update as things happen!