1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vehicles with high number of previous owners?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by GA_TACO4x4, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    GA_TACO4x4

GA_TACO4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    marathon superhide max-4 seat covers, weathertechs, maglite mod, 20% tint, 2" leveling kit, leaf spring tsb.
    Just looking for some opinions on pre-owned vehicles. My dad is looking to get a Jeep (I know, I know, save the hating) to pull behind is camper. Not gonna be a DD, just a play toy. We found a 00 Wrangler locally. 121k on the odo. Really good condition, mechanically and cosmetic wise, and has nice aftermarket wheels and tires. It's reasonably priced at $8k. He looks up the VIN on Carfax and it shows 9 owners in the last 12 years! Immediate red flag in my book. Is that many previous owners a bad thing for a vehicle of that age? Who here has owned/sold a vehicle with similar circumstances?

2. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    It can be... sometime it means issues but sometimes especially with something like a jeep people just realize it's not for them. Jeeps are an acquired taste. 9 in 12 though, that would definitely catch my attention.

3. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I see two scenarios.

1) It has a mechanical issue that no one fixed or could figure how to fix. So they "passed it down the line"

2) It being a Jeep, the novelty may have worn off. There are people that go and buy Jeeps because it's a Jeep. It's cool. I can ride with the top down. I can take the doors off. Blah blah blah. Typically the younger crowd. Then the little things start to get them; like grocery shopping or long trips or cold weather or gas mileage or they need to haul something. Now they realize it has become impractical and doesn't suit their lifestyle......... which usually takes 6 months to a year for people to realize.

I'm kind of leaning towards #2 myself

4. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    :cool:

5. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    :cool: :cool:

you just typed faster

6. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    GA_TACO4x4

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    marathon superhide max-4 seat covers, weathertechs, maglite mod, 20% tint, 2" leveling kit, leaf spring tsb.
    its very true they're an acquired taste. He had a 94 Yj when I was in high school that I had to drive for a few weeks while my old truck was in the shop. It was cool at first but got old real fast, so I can understand people losing interest in them quick. But the Wrangler he's looking at now has been registered in GA, SC, NC, and IND that i can recall. So its not like it was passed around locally. That's what is causing the concern. I test drove and and couldn't find any mech. issues. and it drove smooth (for a jeep anyways), no vibrations or shaking, so I don't feel it has been wrecked.

7. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Notice how it kept moving further south? :laughing:

I'd get a carfax (even though they're not 100% accurate), it still might shed some light on things. Then have it checked out by a certified mech or the like. The parts for those things are a dime a dozen.

8. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    GA_TACO4x4

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    people down here drive Fords and Jeeps cause they're easy to spell :D :rolleyes:
    Carfox has been obtained. And that's one of the few good things about Wranglers, there are so many aftermarket parts available, you can pretty much rebuild one straight from the catalog (which you almost have to if its a offroad rig). Idk though. Least he has the title, so it's not like the Jeep is hot or anything

9. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    GA_TACO4x4

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    Just got off the phone with my dad. He's gonna pick it up tomorrow. Everything felt solid when we drove it so I think it'll be a good deal, even with all the previous owners

10. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    it could very well have been a military person who owned it also, which is why it "registers" as 9 different owners.

11. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    GA_TACO4x4

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    Very true. But it registered in the same state consecutively on 2 occasions (if that makes sense) so I feel it's passed hands that many times at least. But good call on the military thing I didn't think of that.

Products Discussed in

To Top