1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want to buy a Tacoma, had some questions if you don't mind

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by CAAT, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    CAAT

CAAT [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Chicago
    Good afternoon, gentlemen! First time poster here. Long story short I'm in the market for a 4x4 Tacoma between the years 2000 to probably 2006 due to my budget, which is $16,000. I sold my old truck in January -Chevy 1500, and I'm looking to downsize to something a little more conservative in size. The only problem is I really don't know much about these trucks. I don't know why I'm so fascinated by Tacomas, but I am. Probably because I saw them all the time overseas, and they look liked they can take a beating. I think some of them might have been the Hilux version though.

The problem that I'm running into is the mileage. I live in Chicago and most of them have >100k mi, I don't know if this is considered a lot or not for a Tacoma. So I had some questions if you don't mind, sorry if you get these all the time or they're rookie questions:

*How long do you think these trucks can Realistically last?

*What type of BIG ticket problems could I run into at this mileage range (transmission, etc)

*Any red flags I should look out for when I go to see one in person?

I remember hearing about rust issues, but it seemed like that happened to the one's from the 90s.

*What would YOU pay for the type of mileage I'm describing?

Most of them look like they're in good shape. I found a 5 speed -which I really want, with 140k mi on it for $13,000.

Again, sorry if you get this all the time, just kind of nervous to buy a truck with the type of milage I'm seeing. Thanks for any help!

2. Mar 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    after you christain :D

3. Mar 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    The only thing that would concern me about buying a high mile Tacoma would be how well did the previous owner(s) take care of it. My dad once said you can usually judge that by how well the interior of the vehicle looks. If the inside is in near perfect condition they probably also cared enough to do maintenance. Also, I would never by a high mile vehicle without seeing a car fax report. I would also have a qualified mechanic check it out really good before I purchase it.

4. Mar 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I agree with this...I've always babied my cars and the interior is kept immaculate. I do drive a lot however and you can't control rock chips, and exterior flaws. My truck is a 2007, 80,000 miles on it, exterior has a few minor flaws but my interior looks nearly perfect...better than when I bought it actually because I added leather

5. Mar 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I cannot speak for the reliability of the 05+ but the 1995.5-2004 model years are very durable vehicles that dont see many problems with high mileage other than normal wear/tear parts

i'm sitting at a hair over 130K with approx. 1 oil change a year (dont hate) and the only things i've replaced are the battery, alternator, water pump, timing belt and a couple of cv axles...i replaced the alt and cvs because i destroyed them both taking the damn thing offroad

everything else has held up great so far

toyota recommends changing the timing belt/water pump at around 90K miles so you may want to check into that if you find one above that mileage on a pre 05 truck

It can be done in your garage but if you take it to a dealer itll cost you upwards of $600.00

6. Mar 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    What year, what model - a reg cab 4x4 in great shape from a dealer might go for that much, but on the same token, if you're looking at an 04 double cab 4x4 from a private seller then $13k might be a bit low and indicating that there's some sort of an issue.

Being that you're concerned about how long these things last and what kind of "big ticket" issues you might run into, I'd highly suggest taking it to a mechanic - I don't know what they go for out there in Chicago but I've had a few mechanics charge about $75 for a pre-purchase inspection - money that's well worth it IF they do come up with something. Just think of the cost as insurance - it's something that you pay but never use (at least we all hope you never have to use it).

Personally, if you're looking at buying a truck for the "long haul" (pun both intended and not intended) then I wouldn't look anywhere else but a Toyota, and specifically their smaller pickups (1st/2nd gen Tacoma, and those from pre-95.5) It doesn't take much to take care of them, and they're rock solid

7. Mar 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    These are great trucks and I am sure you will love it once you find the right truck.
    Mine is 10 years old and I had litterally not spent one dime on repairs untill a couple months ago when I had to replace a $78 air/fuel sensor. That averages to $7.80 per year over the last 10 years. You can't beat that. I do regular oil changes, and other than that have only replaced tires, brake pads and wiper blades.

If you find a truck in the northern parts of the country, have the chassis checked for rust.
    If the truck is over 100k miles check to see if the timing belt has been replaced (mine is coming up soon). Most people replace the water pump and other belts at the same time, since they are all located in the same place. This can be a $600+ maintenance item, but other than that, there is nothing major that I have heard of.

Good luck in your search.

8. Mar 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    CAAT

CAAT [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Chicago
  9. Mar 14, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    TRDBen

TRDBen Mall Crawler of the Year

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 4 Door TRD V6
    Front Window Tint KYB Monomax Shocks Blue Dome Light Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    1. These trucks will last for-fucking-ever if you take car of them (get a pre purchase inspection).

2. None. Motors and transmissions in these are pretty bulletproof. Just make sure all the typical stuff (timing belt and water pump) have been done. Once again a PPI will make sure these are ok.

3. When you go see it in person, make sure you like it, make sure youre happy with the interior condition, and if you want it get it inspected. (theres a common theme here).

4. Buy it for as much as youre willing to spend honestly. These trucks arent like domestics, they hold their value and are worth the cash. Dont cheap out and spend a few thousand less for an inferior truck. Spend a good amount and get a great truck that will last forever.

Oh yea and get it inspected. ;)

10. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    CAAT

CAAT [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Chicago
    Thanks for your reply!

11. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
  12. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1.... Rock solid trucks, but the 1st gen need to have the timing belt replaced.
    I'm not sure about the Tacoma engines, but the Tundra 4.7 is an interference design.
    The 2nd gen engines are chain driven, so just change the oil regularly and enjoy your truck for the next 200k+

I put 225k on my '94 with a 22RE. Replaced the clutch at 180k.
    Had a warped exhaust manifold at around 60k. Other than that, the truck never saw the inside of a shop... I did the fluid changes myself.

13. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    CAAT

CAAT [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Chicago
    Thanks for the reply and information!

14. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    You live in Chicago, you have O'hare and Midway within driving distance, so use them to your advantage.

I live in Tulsa, and I do wanted a "low miles" no rust Gen 1 Taco. So I shopped in no salt states/regions and found a truck in Colorado Springs.

You could shop in FL,GA and TX and take a weekend to drive back to Chi Town. Good luck!

15. Mar 15, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    CAAT

CAAT [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Chicago
    Good idea, thanks!

16. Mar 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    You are welcome!

Come on, lets keep the OP to Gen1's only... ;)

17. Mar 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    check for frame rust..especially if you live where they salt the roads.

for that budget..i bet you can find a great first gen.

18. Mar 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Hello, ill give you my experience owning a 05 4x4. Make sure to check the front diff! there is a known issue with it on quite a few trucks.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3lB_ss6ytk Also if you are looking at 05-06 check the motor mount where it attaches to the frame. the first 1.5-2 years are not reinforced and frame damage is possible.http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/21849-05-motor-mounts-failed-failing.html Also if you plan to carry any weight in the bed or pull a trailer check the rear leafs. They are designed to offer a smooth ride not carry loads.
    All and all they are great vehicles but they definitely have their issues.

19. Mar 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    "Haters will hate..."

LOL!

20. Mar 16, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    CAAT

CAAT [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Chicago
    Gotcha, thanks for all the information!

Products Discussed in

To Top