Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Bought a Turbo Sonata today.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Bought a Turbo Sonata today.

Fear not - I still have the Tacoma. The wife traded in her '03 Kia for a '12 Sonata 2.0T. That thing hauls. 274 horses, paddle shifters and a cool look (or a terrible look, it's polarizing).

She loves it and I'm glad to be able to provide it. At under 30K, I think they're a solid buy. Anyone else drive a new Sonata?

Photos added after a wash and wax...

Old 03-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Dhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
Dhawk1313's Tacoma Gallery
Got any pics? Sounds sweet though
Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSeven View Post
Wow, under 30k? Didn't sonatas used to sell for under 15k new?
Probably. It's the Limited model - all leather, dual moon roof, turn signal indicators, heated seats and whatever else. We drove a 4 cyl Subie Legacy, 4 cyl Toyota Camry and the Sonata. Definitely the best ride and most power. Cheaper than the Camry, more expensive than the Subie. I liked the AWD Subie but I got outvoted.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
Got any pics? Sounds sweet though
Not yet, but it looks just like this. Color and all. I would have gotten white or dark gray, but the wife like silver.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
We almost bought one just like that about a year ago not long after that body style and the turbo had come out. They're sweet! Wound up getting a fully loaded Accord instead. My wife kept reading about a steering issue with them. Said that they had a problem with it pulling to the left very strongly. Kinda steered us away, plus the fact that they were so new. We wound up getting the Accord for about the same price. They wouldn't budge on the Sonata, they were selling so well at the time. We drove several of them and really liked them.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
We almost bought one just like that about a year ago not long after that body style and the turbo had come out. They're sweet! Wound up getting a fully loaded Accord instead. My wife kept reading about a steering issue with them. Said that they had a problem with it pulling to the left very strongly. Kinda steered us away, plus the fact that they were so new. We wound up getting the Accord for about the same price. They wouldn't budge on the Sonata, they were selling so well at the time. We drove several of them and really liked them.

Nice. I really like Accords but the wife wouldn't have it. We considered a CRV but didn't drive one. We did drive a Hyundai Tuscon but it was small and seemed like a lot less car than the Sonata.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. They're nice. I wouldn't mind one as a DD. Same with the Kia Optima turbo.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
A guy I work with just bought the same car. It's really nice! I'd drive it, wouldn't trade the Taco for it, but they're nice looking cars, good power and comfy.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Nice. I would drive one of those or a Kia Optima. Congrats man.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Fear not - I still have the Tacoma. The wife traded in her '03 Kia for a '12 Sonata 2.0T. That thing hauls. 274 horses, paddle shifters and a cool look (or a terrible look, it's polarizing).

She loves it and I'm glad to be able to provide it. At under 30K, I think they're a solid buy. Anyone else drive a new Sonata?
Sweet! My co-workers wife just got a bad ass blue one.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, gonna throw my name in here.... I'm a svc manager for Hyundai dealer near my home. Let me know if you have questions. And the pulling issue was resolved with longer cam bolts being installed under warranty. This allowed proper adjustments for the turbo sonatas and worked out great. No longer an issue though.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogeyphenogey View Post
Ok, gonna throw my name in here.... I'm a svc manager for Hyundai dealer near my home. Let me know if you have questions. And the pulling issue was resolved with longer cam bolts being installed under warranty. This allowed proper adjustments for the turbo sonatas and worked out great. No longer an issue though.
Nice! It stickered at $29,300 and we got our guy down to $27K even ($24K even after our $3000 trade in, according to KBB). Would you say we got really screwed, or only kinda screwed?

Actually I'm really happy with our deal but you always wonder how much the Dealer has in the car, you know?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogeyphenogey View Post
And the pulling issue was resolved with longer cam bolts being installed under warranty. This allowed proper adjustments for the turbo sonatas and worked out great. No longer an issue though.
Good to hear. Really liked them, but the stories my wife read about that scared her away. But from what we read it wasn't just the turbo's, but the ones with the sport wheels like pictured.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Good to hear. Really liked them, but the stories my wife read about that scared her away. But from what we read it wasn't just the turbo's, but the ones with the sport wheels like pictured.
The wheels are sick, by the way - they're a dark silver/gray in person, like anthracite.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
TacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AL
TacoAL's Tacoma Gallery
I'm kicking my self for being loyal and buying a TC. It works and is fun on the weekends (stick), but after driving one of those and being my age... Wish I spent the extra money and chose that for the a to B car. Good choice man!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Throttle steer, all turbo high horsepower FWD cars do it. My two volvo FWD turbos did it, and if you've ever driven a Mazdaspeed 3, they also do it.

I drove a co-workers one last week. Nice car, they sure have come a LONG way!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #19

Added photos to the top!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Throttle steer, all turbo high horsepower FWD cars do it. My two volvo FWD turbos did it, and if you've ever driven a Mazdaspeed 3, they also do it.
From what we read and experienced it wasn't "throttle" or "torque steer". After the stories on the net, took one out for another test drive and sure enough just cruising down the hwy and it pulled to the left. It wasn't so bad as we read and could have just been the road, but my wife didn't like it after reading so much about it. But with it being a brand new model I wasn't very inclined to buy one. Of course that was right after the turbo's had out and they hadn't been out very long anyway. But she also read that it wasn't just on the turbo's, just the ones with the 17or 18" wheels, like the OP's. Can't remember the size.