Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

run flat tires

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
run flat tires

Anyone have any experience with run flat tires? Pros/cons? Grandmother is looking to pull the trigger soon on a new Rav4. She wants the V6 and she prefers magnetic gray and dark interior, and you need the Sport to get that. The V6 Sports all seem to be coming with a package that comes with run flat tires now and she's not too sure about them. On the Toyota website you can configure one without this package however NO ONE has them anywhere. And my local dealer and salesman I always deal with a long with another dealer both checked and they said they couldn't find any in stock in the dealer network nor will it let him put in a special order to Toyota for that configuration. Thoughts on the tires?

If she decides to not want the run flats the alternative would probably be a Pyrite Mica base V6 with ash interior, but she much prefers the magnetic gray/charcoal-ish combo. Plus I'm a little partial to magnetic gray myself.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I hear that RFTs are hella expensive if you need to replace them and not a whole lot of places carry them.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea I just priced a few out of curiosity in the size tire the Sport uses and at least looking at a set of 4 they seemed to be generally around $200 more than what a standard set would run.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Pain in the ass according to a friend that used to work at a tire shop.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
They are very expensive, and will need to be special order, when it comes time to replace them, or if she get a flat and drives on the run flat tire. Regular tires with a AAA membership would be cheaper, if it offered in her area.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers

Yea she's been a AAA member forever. She does travel out of state occasionally which would be my only concern. Her normal local driving wouldn't be as much of an issue. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I heard that you can't just replace one if it goes bad, as others have said too expensive and I don't think you can run on them in the "flat" mode for long at all.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Yup from a BMW product.

I've found all the "stories" about them are pretty much false. The only difference I've noted is a little more thump when I first start rolling when the car as been sitting for a while (which goes away pretty quick once moving). Additionally, if you do get a flat it is recommended that the tire not be repaired but, replaced. Just put ANOTHER set on the BMW (205/55r16) and priced about the same as none RSC tire. I had zero problems finding a set and they seem to perform as well as a none run flat.

All in all, for an older female, I like the concept. She would have the warning light of a low pressure and can continue on and replace the tire soon rather than risk stoping on the side of the road.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
TacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to behold

TacoTaro's Tacoma Gallery
I would not want them on my own car but I like the concept for the wife and grandma car. In fact I'm thinking about putting them on the wife's Accord when the OEM tires wear out. I would also use a TPMS. I think you have to run TPMS with run flats otherwise you would just keep driving until the tire shreds
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Way way way overpriced...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Kenny Fuckin Powers

I never was able to sell her on them. She insisted on regular tires and a spare. She picked up her 2012 Rav4 today actually. I took it for a drive, it's actually pretty nice. Rides pretty good. It's Pyrite Mica and has the V6. Thing hauls some serious ass for what it is. I'd rock one if I had to. Not over the Taco though, naturally lol.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
TacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to behold

TacoTaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Toy View Post
Way way way overpriced...
I was looking at them for the Accord and they were $30-40 more per tire. BFD

It's worth it to me so my wife doesn't get stuck on the side of a Los Angeles highway with traffic going by at 80mph.