Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

WyoTech

Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
WyoTech

Hows everyone doin tonite, well guys i recently just graduated high school and currently finishing my first semester at my local community college. I'm starting to think that im not cut out for much more general ed and that i would really like to start doing what i want to do, with that said...

Ive been seeing WyoTech commercials for the past year and ive really become interested in starting this program.(for those who dont know) Basically its a company that trains people in the automotive/electrical business in a different range of specialties... Right now this is what i really want, ive always liked cars and would love to get more familiar with them. If you guys have any feedback on what you think is good/bad about this decision or if youve heard anything about what kind of place wyotech is (i know its not in a lot of different areas). I just felt like telling someone besides my parents and friends who think im just waisting my time dreaming about something else to put my time into..
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Right now the automotive business isnt what it used to be, Being said I wouldnt recommend going to an expensive school to learn how to wrench on cars, the best way to learn is hands on, I went to a community college for my "training" and got set up with a job at a dealer, working at the dealer hands on is where I learned what I know now, IMHO i think that the wyotech school is a waste of money, its hard to make money in the automotive business nowadays
Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If thats what you want to do go for it. Don't let your parents or friend discourage you. If Wyotech doesn't work out you can always go back to school. Im 27 and won't graduate untill I'm 28 because I took a few years after highschool to get things figured out, I was too burned out on school to keep going. But now I'm back at it an I have no regrets about being "late" to graduate. Just do what feels right to you.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
WyoTech is not a bad program I know a few people that have worked there and work with a few that have graduated from there. Coming into a dealership from WyoTech you would probably start out on the lube rack till you showed your stuff and earned your wings and get put on a team. If working on cars is where you see yourself in five years you should look into Toyota’s Tten program it is a Toyota specific apprentice program it is leaps ahead of WyoTech. With the current economy there is only two car line’s to be working for right now Toyota or Honda.

http://www.toyota.com/about/tten/
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Toyota doesnt pay that good, all dealer techs get about the same amount of pay, Toyota is alot of hours but little pay per hour, I worked for Jeep, Not as many hours but more per hour than a toyota tech with the same amount of training. Toyota T-Ten program can be found at a local community college for cheap
Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
It really depends on you. Best advice I can give is dream big and go for it. The car business is always up or down, goes in cycles along with the economy. Pick a good sound car line, or "type" you want to work on and train. I've recruited from UTI in the past out of the the PTAP program. Came back from Florida last month after doing interviews on behalf of my dealership.

Go to different dealers, talk to the techs, seek out the shop foreman, and get their feedback on their careers. I enjoy doing my job day in and day out. It's truly a dream come true for me.

I was once a pencil pusher out of the Navy making six figures but I was bored as hell, tired of the corporate rat race. Told my old boss screw this I'm outta here. I never looked back on my decision.

If you're serious about the technical auto field I encourage it. It's hard some days but it's rewarding. There have been numerous studies that show just how lacking we are going to be in several years in the auto/tech industry. A huge shortfall of technicians that are adequately trained to fix all the new cars and hybrid/DFI/DSG/PDK/ZF and thousand of other acronyms that come out every year on these machines. On any given quarter I gurantee you that I'm in school for three solid weeks learning. It never ends.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I have two friends that went there and graduated and both have gone on to great things. One now washes windows and the other is a trailer tech for U-Haul . Honestly they are both morons so I can't judge the school on them. That being said our local community colleges have increadible auto programs. If Wyotech or UTI is what you want go for it, but just don't overlook the community colleges, they are sometimes overlooked and can give you a greater return for your investment.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
You might have or not considered the military. Just a thought. Only there can you train and get handed the keys/controls to millions/billions of dollars worth of equipment.

Don't forget the kick azz guns --
Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
The owner of the shop that built my truck is a Wyotech graduate. There's nothing to say you couldn't take the education and completely run with it, getting into full-on fabrication work and custom builds.

http://carrollsrodandrace.com/gallery.htm

You're only limited by your own drive and determination.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
A friend of mine went to WyoTech, according to him they promised a lot of stuff that didn't happen. He doesn't have a problem finding work tho. He does a lot of custom work on rat rods / customs, and he's created a pin striping business on the side for the completed work.