LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

I need opinions on new car to buy, wrx or non wrx

Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
I need opinions on new car to buy, wrx or non wrx

So my girl soon to be wife tells me that she wants a subaru impreza but she says "if you help me buy it I will get the wrx" but the 2012 subaru impreza non wrx gets way better gas mileage and she is better with an automatic, she cant really drive a stick and we need a good car for trips, what you guys think? these are the 2 she has selected. I love the wrx but with the way gas is going, I dunno. She wants the 2012 impreza non wrx

Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
dpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Derek
dpalmer619's Tacoma Gallery
the non wrx just looks so plain and generic...but maybe with some modding it could turn into a wrx =) haha.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer619 View Post
the non wrx just looks so plain and generic...but maybe with some modding it could turn into a wrx =) haha.
Very true, Im just trying to think practical and not let the inner racer inside come out
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
dpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Derek
dpalmer619's Tacoma Gallery
How much of a difference is the mpg between the two?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer619 View Post
How much of a difference is the mpg between the two?

wrx 19 city, 25 highway

2012 non wrx 27 city, 37 highway
Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
So my girl soon to be wife tells me that she wants a subaru impreza but she says "if you help me buy it I will get the wrx" but the 2012 subaru impreza non wrx gets way better gas mileage and she is better with an automatic, she cant really drive a stick and we need a good car for trips, what you guys think? these are the 2 she has selected. I love the wrx but with the way gas is going, I dunno. She wants the 2012 impreza non wrx

Don't buy an Impreza!!!!! My wife got one a couple months ago due strictly to the 36 highway , 27 city mpg. I actually talked her into it over the Prius that she wanted. Long story short, we traded for a Prius with only 600 miles on the Subaru.
Search north American Subaru forum for mpg. They SUCK
Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
The wrx is really sharp looking!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
Don't buy an Impreza!!!!! My wife got one a couple months ago due strictly to the 36 highway , 27 city mpg. I actually talked her into it over the Prius that she wanted. Long story short, we traded for a Prius with only 600 miles on the Subaru.
Search north American Subaru forum for mpg. They SUCK
what didnt she like about the impreza? just not getting the mpg she wanted?, we also live where it snows a lot but not this year and I would feel better with her driving an all wheel drive car and not relying on me to take her to work everytime it snows
Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
non wrx
Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
The enthusiast in me would say the WRX. But the normal one may be more practical. I know a couple people with Impreza's and still get good mpg's. Don't know how close to advertised though, but good enough they don't complain. Naturally most cars compared to a Prius will fall short of getting awesome mpg's.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
The slowest build EVER!!
MI4x4Toy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
MI4x4Toy's Tacoma Gallery
I had an 08 base impreza 2.5i and it was a GREAT car for just getting around and doing trips in. Not as good of gas mileage as the 12's but still decent. One thing I would recommend is getting a package with the better seats and sound system. If anyone thinks the base tacoma sound sucks....HOLY wow listen to base subaru! WRX is fun but I think in the long run you'd be happier on trips with the non-turbo impreza.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Honestly Subaru is not a good choice for MPGs.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI4x4Toy View Post
I had an 08 base impreza 2.5i and it was a GREAT car for just getting around and doing trips in. Not as good of gas mileage as the 12's but still decent. One thing I would recommend is getting a package with the better seats and sound system. If anyone thinks the base tacoma sound sucks....HOLY wow listen to base subaru! WRX is fun but I think in the long run you'd be happier on trips with the non-turbo impreza.
yeah she is lookin at the 2012 premium package with the alloy wheels and seats and all for around 21500 brand new and the used 2011 wrx is 28000
Old 04-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #14

an article I read from car and driver about the 2012 subaru

The new engine, when coupled to an equally new CVT, earns EPA ratings of 27 mpg city and 36 highway, the highest fuel economy of any all-wheel-drive car in America, Subaru boasts. Thatís a fairly shocking, 38-percent improvement in highway mileage over the old four-speed auto. When equipped with a five-speed manual, as was our test car, the Impreza returns a slightly less impressive 25 mpg city and 34 highway, according to the EPA. We saw only 24 mpg.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh, and some more.
The CVT is super loud and buzzy, and always sounds like it's reving about 1500 rpms higher than it should.
There's apparently NO sound deadening under the carpet or underbody so you hear EVERY stone and grain of sand going "ting TA ting ping'" off the bottom of the car.
AND here's a killer. The stereo won't let you adjust bass, treble, balance or fade unless the car is in park. WTF is that!?!?!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
an article I read from car and driver about the 2012 subaru

The new engine, when coupled to an equally new CVT, earns EPA ratings of 27 mpg city and 36 highway, the highest fuel economy of any all-wheel-drive car in America, Subaru boasts. Thatís a fairly shocking, 38-percent improvement in highway mileage over the old four-speed auto. When equipped with a five-speed manual, as was our test car, the Impreza returns a slightly less impressive 25 mpg city and 34 highway, according to the EPA. We saw only 24 mpg.
CVT...eh. of course that's me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5925E...e_gdata_player
Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
Oh, and some more.
The CVT is super loud and buzzy, and always sounds like it's reving about 1500 rpms higher than it should.
There's apparently NO sound deadening under the carpet or underbody so you hear EVERY stone and grain of sand going "ting TA ting ping'" off the bottom of the car.
AND here's a killer. The stereo won't let you adjust bass, treble, balance or fade unless the car is in park. WTF is that!?!?!
yeah Im not big on those cvt transmissions, drove some cars with them and wasnt impressed. I will be upgrading the stereo as soon as I get the thing. NIce crystal clear and bassy radio is the way to go for long trips
Old 04-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #18

Subaru corporate told us it may take 3000-6000 miles for proper break in time and seeing the mpg, plus we are running on "winter gas".
I said, "Huh. This sounds like a Subaru problem. Every Toyota my wife and I have ever owned, EXCEEDED the EPA mileage right from the day it left the lot."
No more Subaru. And, I would buy an Audi A3 before I would ever touch a WRX.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat looking for a new car for the lady. She said she could live with a Hyundai elantra or Mazda 3, both of which hit that 40mpg mark in the right trim, not saying they'll get quite that but still a nice number, problem is the snow in the Midwest. Which makes me consider the impreza. Btw the impreza has all the new features for 2012. WRX and STI not so much.

My vote between the two definitely goes to the non WRX
Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #20

yeah I think the 2.0 impreza premium is gonna be the choice to go with, looked at the mazda 3, carolla and the hyuandi velocter and my favorite by far is the impreza.We also looked at the kia optima and the hyuandi sonata and she said I will never drive it if it has a kia or hyuandi emblem, Looks like the non wrx impreza premium it is