Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Broken Garage Spring. How to replace?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
TacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to behold

TacoTaro's Tacoma Gallery
Broken Garage Spring. How to replace?

So I noticed this tonight.

Anyone replace one of these before?

The door still opens and shuts but want to fix this before there is a problem.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
you have to fix that or the other side will break...

that spring is one thing i hire out for..you watch them do it, and it looks flat out dangerous. they have these metal sticks they use to twist and tension the spring. one comes loose, or your grip slips..it will be like a Wil-e-coyote episode.

at least the repair is cheap.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
There's a lot of energy built up in those springs. Better to leave that to someone else bud.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Here's an idea of what it entails:

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instru...on-springs.php
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
CubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCubanTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Carlos
CubanTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I also wouldn't use the garage door opener with only one spring. The door is too heavy and you might end up breaking the opener too. Probably best to replace both springs at once.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Spitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Spitz Stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
There's a lot of energy built up in those springs. Better to leave that to someone else bud.

^This. I believe I paid about $140 - $150 to have someone change both springs. Well worth it not to hurt yourself or someone else.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, not worth losing a limb or digit over, get a professional to replace it for you. I'm sure you can find one in your local yellow pages.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
OnTheTrail is on a distinguished road
OnTheTrail's Tacoma Gallery
I was an installer for many years. Like what has been said, it's dangerous. Most shops wouldn"t even sell you the spings. Spend the $ and hire somebody and don't worry about it for another 10 years.

Oh, the other spring has the same amount of wear and tear so replace both.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Yep..i saw one of them blow up on the door of my last job..hire somone to do it right, and safe.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
One of the few jobs that I would pay someone to do
Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
One of the few jobs that I would pay someone to do
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
dusman is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
dusman's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, dangerous, however I have to same I am suprised at the responses for those that put in their own coils on their truck
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem a few months back. In Nevada only a licensed contractor can purchase the springs because the install is so dangerous. Like everyone else has said, hire a professional.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I've done it myself before - if you take your time, be smart and maintain positive control at all times you'll be fine. Regardless, both need to be replaced at the same time. If you have any concerns about it, hire it done.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusman View Post
I agree, dangerous, however I have to same I am suprised at the responses for those that put in their own coils on their truck
I spent extra for coilovers.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I can't see the pic. Is it a standard spring or a wound coil style that sits above the door? If it is the coil style then you need unloading bars to take the tension off. You can't simply loosen the retaining bolt because they will hurt you. Also both need to be replaced. We had ours done and it cost $200 for everything but the guy did a shitty job.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #18
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Easy job. Like others said there is stored energy in that other spring still. Use a few pieces of rebar and "walk" the tension off the spring. Once the tension is gone, put the new springs on the shaft.

You can get the springs at your local Menards. Usually they are sized by the door size, and indicate approximately what number of turns they need to be cranked to at installation. Make sure you wind them in the correct direction, the springs are supposed to help lift the door. When you install the new spring make sure you wind them both the same amount. And replace both springs, then keep the good one for a spare in a pinch. This is also a good time to check the cables at each end of the shaft that go from the pulley to to lower corner of the door for wear, and replace if necessary.

If you have any doubts pay someone, but really, this is only like a 6 on a 10 scale of difficulty.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You aren't on a ladder when installing coil springs. Sometimes it's not the initial blow of the garage door spring that gets you it's the fall.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusman View Post
our suspension wont spin steel rebar-like shafts like propeller blades into your soft fleshy hands, or face, or stomach..

having said that, i wont compress our springs without a wall mounted spring compressor.