Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

86 toyota pickup, starting problems

Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
86 toyota pickup, starting problems

so i have an old 86 pickup that sits around and its real picky about when it wants to start. I charge up the battery (which is no more than a year old) and it starts up. then i go for a drive and stop somewhere for a few mins. when i come back to start it, it makes that "click" noise that it does when ther battery is dead, but the lights and everything work. then it will only start when i jump it.

I just replaced the starter about 4 months ago so i know its not that and i replaced all the spark plugs also. What do you guys think? could it be a bad battery connection, bad alternator, or that i just dont drive it enough? Oh and the truck has a little less than 250K miles
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Check the battery voltage? Lights will still turn on with ~6 volts normally and it normally takes above 10V for the starter motor..

I would guess the alternator. Most NAPA and other auto parts store will test the battery and alternator if you bring them in for free... I would do that. GL
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
Check the battery voltage? Lights will still turn on with ~6 volts normally and it normally takes above 10V for the starter motor..

I would guess the alternator. Most NAPA and other auto parts store will test the battery and alternator if you bring them in for free... I would do that. GL
ok so take them off and bring them in?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white toy taco View Post
No need to remove any parts, just park close to the building and tell them you would like a test of your starting and charging system. They will eventually roll out a cart/dolly thing with some gear attached, this is their testing equipment which they will attach to your truck. You start the truck, they do the test and let you know what is up. Sometimes, they will ask you bring your battery inside the store for testing and/or charging... fortunately the battery can be removed quickly and easily. I have had good experience with this free service, especially if you don't let them sell you something that you don't really need.

EDIT: This is in reference to what "NAPA and other parts stores" will do. Around my area, Kragen/Checker and AutoZone both have a dolly with equipment for checking electrical and systems while the parts are still installed on the vehicle. Just wanted to clarify.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
That is what is easiest for the shop and you normally...
Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
make sure the battery terminals are on tight and not corroded.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
505 Member

so i replaced the whole positive wire and sanded the paint off for the ground for better contact and everything works good so far.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
AK SnowroxKT

Quote:
so i replaced the whole positive wire and sanded the paint off for the ground for better contact and everything works good so far.

Thanks for your help guys!
Glad you got her fixed!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
505 Member

Yea me too! It's actually been in the family for many years, it was my cousins first car back in the late 80's. I'll post up a pic when I get the chance