Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

How did the Toyota safety recalls make you feel?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I heard about it about 3 or 4 months after I got my gas pedal stuck under my floor mat.....I laughed. I wasn't really worried about it, figured I had pushed it forward when I got into the truck (which I had before, just didn't catch those times). By the time I had heard about the recall, I had ordered a set of weather techs, which the clutch would stick under so I trimmed the mats.

the pedal getting stuck wasn't that big of a deal, since it could be avoided as long as you were careful.

I like my toyota and will stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
I was pissed when Toyota dealership just cut my gas pedal and they didn't even ask I was like the fuck
I would be very pissed if they cut mine. I use the very edge of mine more than a lot of people, I use it to "toe" the pedal. Cutting it would make a difference in how I could do that. Whenever I got to the dealership (rarely if ever), I specifically tell them "DO NOT CUT MY GAS PEDAL"

and they haven't cut it yet
Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
The Toyota recalls made me feel butthurt
Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #25
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
The Toyota recalls made me feel butthurt
Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesrunner View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks again for the responses guys!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
The recalls don't bother me but I've been in the business a long time and understand every manufacturer goes through it at some point. I'd rather them come out and admit they have issue (while offering to repair it free of charge) than hiding it.

What I can't stand is the pissing match that goes with trying to get a TSB handled. I don't seem to have had such a fight a head of me with other manufacturers. The leaf spring deal still burns my ass. A truck shouldn't sag at 30K especially when they already offer the solution in other countries. That's marketing getting a louder voice than customer satisfaction (IMHO).

All the manufacturers seem to be adopting some type of "just in time" manufacturing process. This usually leaves some of the R&D up to 1st and 2nd year owners of a generation change. That's to be expected.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #29
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my truck after the gas pedal/floormat problems. I owned a Corolla before that. When I was vehicle shopping I drove into a Honda dealership and the saleman asked what other vehicles I had looked at/test driven. Among other vehicles I mentioned the Tacoma and the RAV4. He was all over it, telling me how bad Toyota's safety record is and I should be careful about buying a Toyota. I told him, "First of all, I drove up to your dealership in a Toyota. Second of all, the NTSB found those issues were operator error, not a safety issue with the vehicles. Last, if the strongest argument you can make for your products is that Toyota has imaginary safety issues, I'm done looking at Hondas." But that also told me he didn't consider the Canyon, Dakota, Ranger, Colorado, several small SUVs, etc. to be competition. In the mind of the salesman, Toyota's products were capable of taking his sales from him.

I never worried about the safety recalls, even before the NTSB made their ruling. They had only something like 8 cases of vehicles accelerating out of control out of the hundreds of thousands of vehicles they sold. If they designed a problem into their vehicles there should have been thousands of Toyotas accelerating out of control.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #30
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I'm very pleased with toyota, having personally owned 3 chevies, and worked in a ford dealership for a few months, I've seen... things. Be happy toyota fixes safety issues as a full blown recall, where Ford hid a brake solenoid failure from the public and just quietly replaced them when you brought your vehicle in for servicing without your knowledge.. (Refering to '08 F-150's was that particular issue)
Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #31
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Not much . Every manufacturer has them .
Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #32
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
In all honesty, Im disapointed in Toyotas quality in the last few years. For example, the last gen. Camry. The rear quarter pannels vibrate visibly on the freeway on all models. I havent seen that on any other car. The last gen. Tacoma has areas of clear cost cutting. Now, that being said, its still a better product than the domestics have to offer, but the gap between them is shrinking.
I agree with this sentiment in general. My F-150, I didn't feel like corners were cut. In the Taco, I do. The Taco may still be more reliable in the end. But I'd really like to see someone lay some smack down on the Taco competition-wise. They could use a little kick in the ass. They've gotten complacent, and it shows. As for fear of defects, not so much. I fear the idiots around me much more so.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #33
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
In constrast, Nissan's recalls make me feel sadder about the deterioration of American society as a whole:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...intVersion=YES

1. According to the NHTSA, some Americans will cram six people into five seats and be stupid enough to think it's legitimate.
2. Nissan sold only 918 Titans affected by the recall.