Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Best second vehicle!!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Best second vehicle!!

I'm looking for a second vehicle as a daily driver. I'd like to keep mileage down on my truck and also have a backup vehicle when either of them is down.

- Budget: $2000 to $3000
- Good MPG (26+)
- Manual
- Easy and cheap to work on if needed
- Parts easily accessible
Note: I'm somewhat handy but not a mechanic... Only work I've done is through mod/maintenance tutorials provided by this and other forums

So far I've been looking at these but have no idea what kind of money pit I'd be getting myself into:

- Pre 96 Toyota Pickup
- Pre 96 4runner
- VW Golf/GTI
- Civic Hatchbacks (scared of these because of the import scene... Lots of modded overdriven cars and a big theft potential)
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
I know for sure 90s model Honda's start having transmission issues. Had a prelude and accord and both trans. went bad.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Older Camry/Civic/Accord? 4 cylinder 5 speed will get that MPG all day.

Do you think an older pickup or 4Runner will actually get 26 MPG consistently?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
jbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the rough
jbrenn's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 93 pickup you will not get that mpg consistently. You could find a chevy/gro prizm. IT is a corolla with some sheet metal differences.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post

True... I guess I'm finding myself to be fond of the old gen Toyotas. I need to stick to my guns and drop them off the list before I get myself into building a project car.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #6

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell View Post
I know for sure 90s model Honda's start having transmission issues. Had a prelude and accord and both trans. went bad.
Are these both manual trans?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
I did the same as you a few months ago. I bought a 2000 Celica GT. I enjoy 26-30mpg ratings and also enjoy the handling and sportiness of the car. I know it looks and sounds like a ricer car but having to silver streak mica Toyotas in the driveway looks real nice!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post

i agree

look for a 4 cyl camry, corolla, civic, jetta, golf, altima....

but i will say that if you spend $2-4 k, plus title, tax, yearly fees, insurance, and so on... you will not save any money by gaining 10mpg over your Taco. I can see wanting to keep the miles down but you paid good money for your truck, unless its a toy for you, then drive it!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
My exp. ( badluck) has just been with auto.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Older Toyota --any model--just be sure it has had regular maintenance and NO major defects,oil leaks,ck eng,ect. Stay away from VW--had a friend w/one-had major problems all the time. Nisson-hear they are good--never owned one.
Cannot go wrong w/TOYOTA.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Gen 2 MR2 non turbo (your budget will nto allow a turbo), or 2000 + Celica.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
GTI's are a really fun drive. My Dad has one that I borrow on occasion for long drives. He hasn't had any problems with it since he bought it 10 years ago. I would not hesitate to get one of these
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
FWIW, my mom had an '88 Accord 4 cyl / 5 spd with 200k+ on it back when I was a kid without a lick of transmission work. My sister's '01 Civic with an auto didn't have any transmission problems either in 100k miles.

I also had a '93 Nissan hardbody pickup with a 4 cyl / 5 spd that was a tank as far as reliability, and my former roommate had a 93 (I think) 240SX with the same combo with 250k with no tranny problems at all.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 90's Honda/Toyota/Nissan cars, but that's just me.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My exp. ( badluck) has just been with auto.
The autos are fairly crappy but the manual tranny's are rock solid. Engines are even more solid. Try and find a 4th gen prelude with the H22 engine and a manual. Those are fun!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
runyun is on a distinguished road
runyun's Tacoma Gallery
this one is easy.. for that price range
95-99 Nissan Maxima (97-99 look the best)

hands down very reliable, roomy, 200hp, great mpg. (average 26-27 combined) dual timing chain (never need to replace) and always had cold ac.

i've had several with the 2 highest mileage maximas having 235k miles and 295k miles. Never had a problem. (maybe change out waterpump)

only issues i had were oil leaks.. but those are minor and expected.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
034RUNNER is on a distinguished road
034RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
My money's on the early toyota pickup.