Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Group B Racing

Old 12-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Group B Racing

Group B racing has been banned for about 20 years now. Seeing the recent Baja pics that Mjp posted got me to thinking about it. I was really young during it's heyday but I will never forget the sounds and sheer power of these cars. Not to mention the major pair of cahoney's these drivers had piloting these things.
In a nutshell: Group B = unlimited horsepower, technology, unlimited boost.
from Wikipedia:
The Group B referred to a set of regulations introduced in 1982 for competition vehicles in sportscar racing and rally racing regulated by the FIA. The Group B regulations fostered some of the quickest, most powerful and sophisticated rally cars ever built. However, a series of major accidents, some fatal, were blamed on their outright speed. This led to the nickname "The killer B's". After the death of Henri Toivonen and his co-driver in the 1986 Tour de Corse, the FIA disestablished the class after only four years. The short-lived Group B era has acquired legendary status among rally fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYhiJeRPgdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDX36WJM7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qefKc-SPR-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyVHj3sHVHQ

It was banned in 1986..
Old 12-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
OMG! Those things are amazing!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
What I really found amazing is the people standing in the race course.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
holy. shit.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
The last video is Walter Rohrl piloting the Audi group b car. He now is employed by Porsche AG for initial track testing on all their new cars. Somewhere there is video of him with a Cayenne twin turbo flat out going up a mountain 2 inches away from the cliff. I'll try to find it..
I love the reaction of the crowds/fans as they shriek by.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
The last video is Walter Rohrl piloting the Audi group b car. He now is employed by Porsche AG for initial track testing on all their new cars. Somewhere there is video of him with a Cayenne twin turbo flat out going up a mountain 2 inches away from the cliff. I'll try to find it..
I love the reaction of the crowds/fans as they shriek by.
must find please
Old 12-23-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
My brother knew everything about these cars in our early teens. I can just hear him talking about his favorite car, the Lancia Delta S4. This car was sequentially turbocharged and supercharged and did 0-60 in 2.3 seconds.

Imagine the g-force from a car with a 1.8l engine.

Marc M
Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Rally is definitely my favorite form of motorsport. Most motorsports are on a track that you just keep going round and round, so you know exactly whats coming and how to set up for each turn.

Rally is running a course once before you race. The guy sitting next to you is the most important part of the car, because if he doesn't take good notes during the run you do before the race, you have no idea what to expect so you can't go flat out at any time.

Rally drivers are definitely insane to do what they do.

And the fans...craziest on earth. Nothing like standing in the MIDDLE of where a car is going to be in about 3 seconds trying to take a picture before you get hit by a car. The drivers don't slow down either, they could care less. They've got a race to win.