1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mazda owners

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TacoDawgfan, May 16, 2012.

1. May 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Anyone have experience with Mazda's? My step-daughters car, 07 Mazda 6 V6 started acting up. The electric fan (on the radiator) started running really loud and sounds like it is trying too hard to cool the engine yet the engine is running normal. Fluids are all good. Been reading on a Mazda forum that there is a TSB or possible recall for this and seems to be a common problem from what I've read on the forum. The TSB/recall is for the engine temperature module, apparently giving false readings making the fan run too much and too hard. The car is out of warranty but according to the forum several have had the TSB performed w/o warranty. So I called my local dealer and they are telling me there is no TSB or recall for this. Of course they want me to bring the car in for them to look at it saying it sounds to them like a bad fan. I told the service manager (who I was speaking to) that I had read it on the forum but he said he didn't see anything on it. I'm still digging around on the forum trying to find the TSB # or anything of a possible recall. Some had said recall on there but I'm thinking they meant TSB or just didn't know the difference.

So anyway I'm looking for any input anyone can give. I don't want to pay the Stealership to fix it. :eek: Don't mind doing it myself if I could just get some info to assure me that is what's bad. That is basically all I'm trying to do by dealing with the dealer. If they would fix it great but just would like to know if that's the problem. But of course they want me to spend spend spend. So does a TSB have to be disclosed? Or maybe the TSB apply's only to certain vins?

The fan runs for several minutes after shutting off the engine most times. Mazda told me it was normal for them to run for 8-10 minutes after shutting off. Is this normal? Doesn't seem so to me. Also it is very loud, louder than normal and then comes down in speed as it sits. It never did this before and we've had the car since new so I know it's not normal.

Thanks in advance!

2. May 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. May 20, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Yes, I saw that video while searching about it. And yes it sounds like it. I finally found a part # and saw it on ebay for $55. According to the Mazda forum it runs $25--125 and $200-$400 for the stealer to do it. I just found out yesterday even though it's a common problem with these and other Mazda vehicle's there is no tsb for ours. :mad: The tsb was for up to 06, ours is an 07 but built in Sep. 06. My local dealer told me there were 2 modules but I can only find 1. :confused: I'm sending an email to Mazda just to see, but doubt it will do any good.

As far as replacing, it looks like a pita since one of the bolts is right behind an A/C line. :rolleyes: Found a thread on the Mazda forum that showed it was even harder than it looked to me since the unit was connected to the fan motor and the whole assemble had to be replaced. So I'm confused right now on what actually gets replaced or not. The unit on ebay is just for the module. And if the fan does have to be replaced then it is a royal pita. My dealer quoted me $180 to do the job for the "2" modules plus I have a $25 off coupon so I'm considering just paying them to do it, all though I don't believe there are 2 modules.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. May 20, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    OP,

Peace of mind sending her away with a "Safe" car would be worth the $$$$.....

Dealer has too ( should anyways ;)) print out ALL details on your invoice;parts used and time spent on labor for book keeping and any warranty involved.....that should give you your answer on how many modules...

The money saved on NOT repairing a tire goes towards this and you BOTH know her car is ready to commute....that is $$$$ in the bank for a DAD..... :cool:

Good luck....

5. May 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs

Products Discussed in

To Top