1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

gasoline types

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by fireturk41, Dec 29, 2008.

?

what kind of gas

1. High octane

41 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. medium octane

32 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. low octane

71 vote(s)
    49.0%
  4. none mine never leaves the garage!

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. Apr 19, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

It's true for any motor. The lowest octane you can run WITHOUT detonation (reguardless of compression) will make the most HP. It's pure physics. Of course the higher compression will require higher octane...that's to keep it from.....detonating.

2. Apr 19, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

ANY motor will make more power with lower octane as long as it's not detonating. That's the key....you run the lowest octane you can with no detonation. Up the compression...you'll have to up the octane.

3. Apr 19, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I know.

4. Oct 23, 2009 at 2:34 PM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    "My bad, I was under the impression it was on the lines of 9:1. 10:1 i think is higher then Ive ever seen in a truck! Wonder if the math balances out or makes it most cost efficient to run the 93 rather then 87 in a 4.0?

This topic also has me wondering what the people above 3000-5000 feet are doing. Any 85 octane users???"

I live at 6000 ft and use 85. I have not noticed much of a difference between 85, 87, 91 but with some recent mods, intake and exhaust I think i'll move up and see what the break even point is for mpg and fuel cost for higher octane. It basically costs $4.00 more for the good stuff. At 3 tanks a month that is about $150 a year more. I think I'd rather pay the extra and have some peace of mind that my engine has the best fuel.

Like in those juice commercials - put good in, get good out.

Products Discussed in

To Top