Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

What is your view of what a "Mod" is???

Old 12-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What is your view of what a "Mod" is???

On our recent off roading and shooting trip, we briefly discussed what we all thought a "Mod" was.
For example. I think a modification to my vehicle would be replaceing the stock shocks and springs with ones better siuting my needs. Or dropping a supercharger into the engine bay. I never thought of my window tint, seat covers, etc....being mods.

What say you?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
On our recent off roading and shooting trip, we briefly discussed what we all thought a "Mod" was.
For example. I think a modification to my vehicle would be replaceing the stock shocks and springs with ones better siuting my needs. Or dropping a supercharger into the engine bay. I never thought of my window tint, seat covers, etc....being mods.

What say you?
as far as im concerned...........a "mod" is anything you do to your vehicle to make it "yours"............from new suspension to painting your emblems!!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
as far as im concerned...........a "mod" is anything you do to your vehicle to make it "yours"............from new suspension to painting your emblems!!
I never thought of it like that. Very well put, Will!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think mods have to be mechanical in nature. Anything you do to your vehicle to make it better than stock is a mod. Granted, some take alot more work than others.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I never thought of it like that. Very well put, Will!
some may not think of painting emblems as a "mod"..........but its modifying it...so it is a mod!! and lots of different things like that!!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
I kinda agree with Chris on this one, but also with Will....

i would say that a "Mod" putting a Supercharger, modifying suspension, lifts, anything that upgrades the capabilities of the truck

on the other hand, adding seat covers, bed extenders, tonneau, campers, tints, side steps, audio, i would put in the category of "accessorizing" the truck

but Will is kinda right on the thing of making the truck "yours", but thats just me.....
Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
I kinda agree with Chris on this one, but also with Will....

i would say that a "Mod" putting a Supercharger, modifying suspension, lifts, anything that upgrades the capabilities of the truck

on the other hand, adding seat covers, bed extenders, tonneau, campers, tints, side steps, audio, i would put in the category of "accessorizing" the truck

but Will is kinda right on the thing of making the truck "yours", but thats just me.....
Thats exactly how i felt.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well, looking at phantom's opinion then i would divide Mods on two categories:

Performance Mods

Cosmetic/accesorizing mods
Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post

Main mod tcBob

Super Mods 007Tacoma
------------ Banshee
------------ lsocoee
------------ TheMaster
Touché

we got a winner
Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
mod simply means modification....anything that you change should be deemed a "mod". hell, removing the metal covers off the horns to make them louder is a "mod" lol....same w/ the seatbelt chime mod
Old 12-31-2008, 06:13 AM   #13
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
Now then what about factory "mod" I spent 500 bucks on the trd exhaust and like 200 on the roof rack does that count cuz the factory "modded" it for me and what if I use synthetic oil its a performance upgrade and one more I use super unleaded for better performance does that count This ofcourse is when my truck finnaly gets you know.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #14
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
I gave up on the semantics of 'mod' a long time ago. I'm OK with (a) those who consider throwing in new floor mats a 'mod' as well as (b) those who don't consider anything short of metal surgery a 'mod'.

Personally, I call a 'mod' anything that's a change from the prior state of the vehicle - whether it's done by addition, replacement, or reconstruction.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #15
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
I agree w/ both trains of thought. I would say that anything you do to your truck after it's bought. But in the same sentence, I just bought a bed mat and it's hard for me to call that a mod. I consider my Okole's a mod cause the damn things cost so much and took a fair amount of install time, but add so much to the truck's interior.

So, I'm w/ Will in saying anything that makes your truck yours. Maybe different levels of mods like video games. Hardcore, Moderate, Easy, ect...
Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Anything not factory installed is a modification of the original design, IMO.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
Yep/ MOD= modification, ergo not OEM, IMHO
Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #18
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
So anything not from the factory so if I would have gottin a flowmaster after i picked up my truck its a"mod" but sine I wanted the trd its not a mod Well then I got jipped out of a "mod" and thats not fair.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09tacoLI View Post
So anything not from the factory so if I would have gottin a flowmaster after i picked up my truck its a"mod" but sine I wanted the trd its not a mod Well then I got jipped out of a "mod" and thats not fair.
thats still a mod dude............cause in fact...you are "modifying" your exhaust to sound better.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #20
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
a mod is anything that don't make it "bone stock" anymore. Chrome tire valve covers is considered a mod to me.