Notices

My New Commuter Car

Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
tacomabud has a spectacular aura abouttacomabud has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bud
tacomabud's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomabud
My New Commuter Car

I love my Tacoma, but even on a good day the 18mpg was a little painful on the wallet. Since I drive 50~60miles a day to work, and my girlfriend is about ~800 miles away round trip, so I figured an economic car would basically pay for itself with the fuel saved. Ended up searching Craigslist about 5 times a day, and was able to jump on a 1999.5 Jetta TDI:

It had small problems with it (light bulb holder shorted, and oil pan drain plug was stripped) and the owner didn't know what was wrong with it, so I got it way under what the car should have be sold for around here. Best part: 3 fill-ups so far, averaging 45 MPG each time!! Never mind the amazing sound of the diesel engine

So the plan as of right now is to keep it stock as long as possible, although a straight pipe is very tempting! Over the winter, I may try to put some skid plates underneath with sheet metal just to cut down on some wind resistance, with the goal of reaching/surpassing 55MPG!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
What did you pay for the VW ?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking car.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
nice choice! you'll love that thing
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNakedBooda View Post
What did you pay for the VW ?
What he said ^

Also, WHY DO YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND SO FAR AWAY!!!!?!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

Paid $2900, w/ 150,000 miles. Can easily sell it for more than what I paid around here.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
55 mpg is possible! My parents owned one that averaged 55 miles to a gallon.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomabud View Post
Paid $2900, w/ 150,000 miles. Can easily sell it for more than what I paid around here.
Hell, I'd buy one for that price!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomabud View Post
I want one. Haha
Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #10

Last refill avg: 49MPG.

Took off the roof rack for the long drive this up coming weekend, expecting ~52mpg... still stock! May order larger injectors this weekend to gain 15HP, 40 tq and about 4-5 mpg increase.
Diesel FTW!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Is that thing the VR6-MKIII?
probably a 4 cylinder isn't it?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough

Navy: EN1
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
Is that thing the VR6-MKIII?
probably a 4 cylinder isn't it?
No it's a TDI (diesel) MKIV. I have a glx 24v VR6 it's nice especially for the year.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen V6 manual got only 18 mpg?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yoda View Post
No it's a TDI (diesel) MKIV. I have a glx 24v VR6 it's nice especially for the year.
Excuse my idiot moment. Not reading gets one in trouble.
VR6? what was I thinking when it gets 40+ mpg?

Is your VR6 modded out? My bro had one.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough

Navy: EN1
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
Excuse my idiot moment. Not reading gets one in trouble.
VR6? what was I thinking when it gets 40+ mpg?

Is your VR6 modded out? My bro had one.
Lol yea I was hoping you were going to tell me there is a mod that will get me an extra 25 mpg..

No it's not modded but I do see its potential. It's my wife's daily , and family car on the weekends.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
1st gen V6 manual got only 18 mpg?
With a 3" OME lift and BFG AT's, it's just about average for the truck.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Nice find! I almost got a suby for a first car for the AWD but if I didn't the TDI was on the top of my "watch for" list, especially for a price like that