LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

I just drove a Jeep and....

Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #61
area 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Retired
area 52's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned four Jeeps and traded my 2010 JK for a Tacoma.

Out of the box, a stock JK is more capable than most drivers.

While I had no issues with parts failures (and I did take it to Moab), the ergonomics suck, the steering sucks and so does the build quality.

I plan on building a trail rig and that could be a CJ/XJ/TJ or my 81 Toy.

Whatever it is, it will be a solid axle and it will be Jeep or Toy.

Jim

Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #62
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
That's my buddy's 99 XJ. It has a 4.5 inch long arm kit. It isn't his dd. I think it is pretty cool and I would get one myself to wheel if I was more into wheeling.
That's just it. Tacos are easier to live with as daily drivers. If I had to drive a Jeep daily in rush hour traffic I'd shoot myself.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #63
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
A few of the guys in my unit have mall crawler-esque Jeeps. I really dont like the feeling of jeeps on the road. The roads here are, for lack of a better word, Dog Shit. Parking lots usually either rise or drop almost 8-10 inches to get onto the road. Most cars scrape (i see the big ass lines in the pavement and giggle)

Anyway, jeeps are no bueno driving around here with reasonable speed. You will more than likely cause internal hemorrhaging and have a kidney laceration driving one because of how violent the daily driving ascent/decent is here. Solid front axles have their place, but a daily driver most definitely isnt one.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #64
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
That's just it. Tacos are easier to live with as daily drivers. If I had to drive a Jeep daily in rush hour traffic I'd shoot myself.
I am going to venture to say you have not spent any time DD'ing a 2013 JK so I'm a little confused from what you are basing your opinion?

I have not driven one either so you could be right but unless you have in fact spent some time behind the wheel of a new JK your comment is merely conjecture.

Of course conjecture is what this thread is made up of, 90% of the folks commenting in here have likely never even sat in a jeep so I suppose its par for the course.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #65
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gen...ml#post5468142

I drove a 2011 rental JK for a week, mostly highway. 2012+ JKs with the Pentastar engine address the power deficit (old Caravan 3.8L was dangerous for highway passing), but the ride and handling still suck.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #66
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
You may be right, although it would stand to reason the 2013's are likely more comfortable. Ultimately ride comfort comes down to preference, its all a trade off though. Some might sacrifice a bit of the ride comfort for more offroad ability.

Like I said earlier, the Jeep has never claimed nor has it been designed to be a luxury car. They know full well most people don't buy jeeps to use for business trips across the U.S. In fact many jeep owners would argue jeep has put to much emphasis on comfort.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #67
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fanboy thread!

I have never driven a Jeep but I would get one if I really wanted to wheel.
Been there done that, that is what they are for. Jeeps (CJ and Wranglers) are about as far away from street performers as you can get. I have a CJ5 and offroad, it is amazing, street is a different story. It handles fine on dry roads, but on ice and snow, look out! Ass end likes to come around on an instant if the wheel is jerked quickly and it is so light that it does not grip well. Still a blast to drive either way, just sucks since the maintenance is so high on it, but hey, my Jeep taught me how to be a mechanic so gotta give it props for that!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #68
Wheeling mine, back to working on everyone else's
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
And.....boom. Yes that just happened. Check sig for details. Lower...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #70
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
And.....boom. Yes that just happened. Check sig for details. Lower...
Right on! Haha.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #71
samsonnight is on a distinguished road
Name: Sam
samsonnight's Tacoma Gallery
How the quest for the Manuel double cab? Still getting those grades up?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #72
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonnight View Post
How the quest for the Manuel double cab? Still getting those grades up?
you could learn how to spell before asking me about my grades captain
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep can't even make lug nuts that don't swell up to holy hell within 3 years. You have beat a socket over every single lug just to get it off, then get to beat the stuck lug out of the socket once it's off. Can't even design a lug nut correctly, what makes anyone think anything else they do is any better?

C.R.A.P.
Thank the Jeep, without them we'd all likely be speaking in German right now. My great grandfather was a medic in WWII and related how important the little 4x4 was to winning that war, and it saved a lot of lives carrying wounded soldiers off the battlefield.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #74
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Thank the Jeep, without them we'd all likely be speaking in German right now. My great grandfather was a medic in WWII and related how important the little 4x4 was to winning that war, and it saved a lot of lives carrying wounded soldiers off the battlefield.
Don't mind that one. He is TW's biggest fanboy.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #75
Quote:

That's my buddy's 99 XJ. It has a 4.5 inch long arm kit. It isn't his dd. I think it is pretty cool and I would get one myself to wheel if I was more into wheeling.

Why would I own a Jeep and a Toyota? Well because I'm not a silly fanboy.
XJs are sick, my buddy has a 2 door that has seen some steady action, he works on it alot though, but the thing has never left him walking. My 5 only has when I've run it out of gas. Silly little 13 gallon tank haha. They are a ton of fun though and worth having around, all ya gotta do is drop that top on a sunny day and head for the hills and you become addicted.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #76
Quote:
Don't mind that one. He is TW's biggest fanboy.
Definitely up there on the charts!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #77
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
The biggest problems with TJ's ( I had a 99 ) was the Dana 35 axle was crap, gas tank hung too low, steering component that was vonerable to rocks and the occational Death Wobble. I think it is the track bar that basicly sits in front of the front axle and I did experience a mild case of the Death Wobble one day.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #78
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCB600F View Post
The biggest problems with TJ's ( I had a 99 ) was the Dana 35 axle was crap, gas tank hung too low, steering component that was vonerable to rocks and the occational Death Wobble. I think it is the track bar that basicly sits in front of the front axle and I did experience a mild case of the Death Wobble one day.
yeah the loose track bar death wobble is a notorious jeep problem.

im not a jeep hater or lover. . .ah you caught me, yeah im a hater. had a JGC and it was trash. absolute trash and you couldn't give me another....... but i do like older wranglers and cherokee's. had a lot of fun in many of them. but between my 07 tacoma and an 07 wrangler, tacoma all the way. the new wranglers ride like shit, their dash and everything are put together like shit and the wind noise is terrible. . . undeniably better offroaders stock, but for a DD i would never own one.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #79
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Then our enemies became our friends and we gave Japan a license to build Jeeps, called Toyota BJ, for the Korean War. Later Toyota stuffed a more powerful F-series engine in it and called it an FJ. The rest is history.

Note the steering wheel is on the right side of the vehicle:

Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #80

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
So if you want a comfortable street ride and room to help your neighbor move, buy a tacoma, If you want to go anyplace a vehicle will take you, buy a jeep, whats the argument?