Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

370Z using oil. Dealer says its common?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
370Z using oil. Dealer says its common?

A girl I work with has been having trouble with the dealership that changes her oil. The car calls for synthetic and 4 times they have put the synthetic blend in. She made them change it 3 times and the last time she was tired of dealing with them and just kept it.

Anyway. It's been randomly using a quart of oil. Not leaking anywhere. Just needing the oil. It's a 2009 with less than 35000 miles. The dealership says with sports cars that is common. I've never had a sports car so I have no idea and figured this was the best place to check.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
A girl I work with has been having trouble with the dealership that changes her oil. The car calls for synthetic and 4 times they have put the synthetic blend in. She made them change it 3 times and the last time she was tired of dealing with them and just kept it.

Anyway. It's been randomly using a quart of oil. Not leaking anywhere. Just needing the oil. It's a 2009 with less than 35000 miles. The dealership says with sports cars that is common. I've never had a sports car so I have no idea and figured this was the best place to check.
I believe they have the same engine as the G37? I've been looking at a G37, but I keep reading / hearing first hand about them using up oil.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Those Nissan engines rely a lot on the oil for cooling, resulting in very high oil temps. Not surprised it's using oil.

The Subaru owner's manuals openly declare their new engines can use up to 1 quart per 1200 miles when the vehicle is used under "severe" driving conditions, and recommends checking the oil level every second gas fill-up.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Can't speak for the Nissan VQ engine but its not uncommon in general for some engines to do this. As long as its not more than a quart. The LS4 in the 07 Impala SS I had would often go through a quart between oil changes which was often common with LSx engines.