1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

370Z using oil. Dealer says its common?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TNDrew, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    TNDrew

TNDrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    A girl I work with has been having trouble with the dealership that changes her oil. The car calls for synthetic and 4 times they have put the synthetic blend in. She made them change it 3 times and the last time she was tired of dealing with them and just kept it.

Anyway. It's been randomly using a quart of oil. Not leaking anywhere. Just needing the oil. It's a 2009 with less than 35000 miles. The dealership says with sports cars that is common. I've never had a sports car so I have no idea and figured this was the best place to check.

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Cogge89

Cogge89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, Kicker ZX400.1 Amp, Kicker CVT 10" Sub. Light Racing UCAs, Front OME Shocks with 885x Coils, Rear OME Shocks with Dakar Leaf Pack, Engine Cover Paint Job, 265/70/17 Duratracs.
    I believe they have the same engine as the G37? I've been looking at a G37, but I keep reading / hearing first hand about them using up oil.

3. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Those Nissan engines rely a lot on the oil for cooling, resulting in very high oil temps. Not surprised it's using oil.

The Subaru owner's manuals openly declare their new engines can use up to 1 quart per 1200 miles when the vehicle is used under "severe" driving conditions, and recommends checking the oil level every second gas fill-up.

4. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Can't speak for the Nissan VQ engine but its not uncommon in general for some engines to do this. As long as its not more than a quart. The LS4 in the 07 Impala SS I had would often go through a quart between oil changes which was often common with LSx engines.

Products Discussed in

To Top