Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Replacing a starter

Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Question Replacing a starter

I may be buying a 1977 mercedes 450slc from a friend for a steal.

The main issue is the starter is bad. I know the part is only about $150, but how hard is the install of a starter?

I know it will vary by vehicle - but generally, is this an easy to moderate task? Or is it something that requires extensive mechanical knowledge?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I had the starter in the Taco go bad after I flooded the truck (long story). I actually ended up rebuilding it. I recommend you do the same. While it's possible it's legitimately worn out and needs to be replaced; it's also possible that it just needs the internal contacts sanded down so they are conductive.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Starters are generally very easy to replace but like you said they WILL vary from vehicle to vehicle. This is most likely going to be one of those vehicles that is not the "norm" on the install....I would grab a Haines or a Chiltons and see what the layout is on the car itself.

Good luck with it!!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help guys.

Steven, I'll definitely take a look at the connections before buying a new one if i decide to get the car.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
unbolt all cables, unbolt starter, bolt in new starter, hook up connections

bench test it with jumper cables and a jumper lead
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
maXXXed out mid travel
straycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: paul
straycat241's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post

kewl man!!, sounds fairly easy
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
As easy as replacing the battery!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
RockAuto has rebuilt ones for as low as $62, but around $90 looks to be the norm for a rebuilt one.

Using the Google, I found that the top bolt is tough to get to. Found this answer on Just Answer:

Hello,
Yes that upper bolt can be tough. What I have to remove the upper bolt is a long 24" 3/8 drive extension with a swivel attached to the end of that and then a 10mm Allen socket Yours may have a 19mm or 17mm bolt depending on what the last person put back in.
I usually feed my extension over the rear transmission mount along the side of the transmission and use a long 3/8 ratchet to brake it loose Or if its super tight I will use a 38/ to 1/2" adapter and use a 1/2 drive ratchet. If you don't have these tools they can be sourced at most tool supply shops. I hope I have answered your question. Please press ACCEPT then if you need further help feel free to ask.
Thanks
Tim

EDIT: This pertains to the OP, not the Tacoma, although the top bolts on many starters can be a little tricky. However, it's one of the easiest things to replace on most cars.

Read more: 1977 450SLC: starter..upper bolt seems impossible to get to? - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/1...#ixzz29lrWo8Xe
Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post

disconnect battery first.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
You will need metric wrenches/sockets. It should be easy--loosen the nut on the negative battery terminal lug and remove it and on the starter, remove two or three bolts, one large nut for the battery cable, and one small nut for the solenoid cable. All that could be wrong are the solenoid contacts or starter motor brushes.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post
I may be buying a 1977 mercedes 450slc from a friend for a steal.

The main issue is the starter is bad. I know the part is only about $150, but how hard is the install of a starter?

I know it will vary by vehicle - but generally, is this an easy to moderate task? Or is it something that requires extensive mechanical knowledge?

Thanks in advance
Without seeing vehicle it can be one of those "Shit, this was a piece of cake" or it can be one of those "How the fuck did they get it in there "

Generally its pretty straight forward.....good luck...
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #13
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE REPLACING STARTER.

Just cover that, again.