Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

The Ultimate Beater Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
The Ultimate Beater Thread

What is your ultimate beater/gas saver, and why?

Criteria: Must be under $5000. Must be a CAR/TRUCK you can drive with a Class C license. No bicycles, motorcycles, mopeds, scooters, etc.

Given the current gas prices in CA right now, and my 14mpg city, I was tossing around the idea of picking up a beater/gas saver to commute with and keep the Taco as a weekend warrior. I live in a house with 4 drivers, 5 cars, and 2 motorcycles...so it probably wont happen, but hey nothing wrong with dreaming right?

Started checking out craigslist. I want to stay within the imports, so of course Camry, Corolla, Tercel, Toyota PU, etc came to mind. Found this guy...looks promising and for that price, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if it really gets 38mpg.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3341109865.html

Old 10-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
blitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blitzburgh99's Tacoma Gallery
Looks pretty good! I didn't see mileage....
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
What is your ultimate beater/gas saver, and why?

Criteria: Must be under $5000. Must be a CAR/TRUCK you can drive with a Class C license. No bicycles, motorcycles, mopeds, scooters, etc.

Given the current gas prices in CA right now, and my 14mpg city, I was tossing around the idea of picking up a beater/gas saver to commute with and keep the Taco as a weekend warrior. I live in a house with 4 drivers, 5 cars, and 2 motorcycles...so it probably wont happen, but hey nothing wrong with dreaming right?

Started checking out craigslist. I want to stay within the imports, so of course Camry, Corolla, Tercel, Toyota PU, etc came to mind. Found this guy...looks promising and for that price, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if it really gets 38mpg.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3341109865.html

I got a prelude that gets pretty mileage for my commuter. Civics are nice too. Good luck on your search.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...278684044.html

id buy that
Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Well, mileage won't be applicable here, but here is my 78 Ford Bronco...

For a old 4x4, it is actually in amazing shape, the body has lots of scratches and a few dents, but no through the panel rust anywhere and the floorboards are really solid. On old fords, its common to have the sheet metal under the carpet rust out and there is a soft spot there, but not on this old girl. When I am home, I typically drive it to save miles on the Tacoma and to absorb any idiot drivers, I am not afraid to take a fender bender in this thing! Don't hope for it to happen cuz I would feel really bad for the other car.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Well, mileage won't be applicable here, but here is my 78 Ford Bronco...

For a old 4x4, it is actually in amazing shape, the body has lots of scratches and a few dents, but no through the panel rust anywhere and the floorboards are really solid. On old fords, its common to have the sheet metal under the carpet rust out and there is a soft spot there, but not on this old girl. When I am home, I typically drive it to save miles on the Tacoma and to absorb any idiot drivers, I am not afraid to take a fender bender in this thing! Don't hope for it to happen cuz I would feel really bad for the other car.

Are you even saving any gas driving that thing? I wouldnt drive that for a DD beater
Old 10-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Haha im loving this thread, in high school i drove a 94 geo prism, which was essentially the same thing as a toyota coralla. I literally could not kill that thing, i beat the shit out of it and never did any maintenance to it. The thing just wouldnt quit, sometimes i wish i took better care of it and still had it. Lately i have been driving 100 miles a day round trip for work and it would be nice to get 25+ mpg. I would still rock that little maroon beater if i had it.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
5k is alot for a beater. should be more like 500..
Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
ultimate beater under 5K.... man, I'm gonna have to think on this one.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/3348958865.html

Don't know if it's the ultimate, but good deal for a running japanese car in good shape. They are hard to find with $5.00 gas around here. Everyone wants $5K for a POS.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/3348958865.html

Don't know if it's the ultimate, but good deal for a running japanese car in good shape. They are hard to find with $5.00 gas around here. Everyone wants $5K for a POS.

that's badass
Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
Are you even saving any gas driving that thing? I wouldnt drive that for a DD beater
I used to DD it before the Tacoma for about 3 years, just have to manage expenses more to drive a gas guzzler, when the 32 gallon tank was full, I could get near the 400 mile mark before it needed gas again. We bought the rig for my Grandpa and he drove it up until he died and it was passed onto me, so I got it really reasonable needless to say, Only cost $750 and has never let me down, been really good to me for a really long time. Wont ever let it go either, 2nd generation Broncos are the rarest Bronco made and are highly sought after by 4x4 enthusiasts for their near indestructible chassis.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
.45%er

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
I used to DD it before the Tacoma for about 3 years, just have to manage expenses more to drive a gas guzzler, when the 32 gallon tank was full, I could get near the 400 mile mark before it needed gas again. We bought the rig for my Grandpa and he drove it up until he died and it was passed onto me, so I got it really reasonable needless to say, Only cost $750 and has never let me down, been really good to me for a really long time. Wont ever let it go either, 2nd generation Broncos are the rarest Bronco made and are highly sought after by 4x4 enthusiasts for their near indestructible chassis.
I agree with you there. When my grandpa goes, I wouldnt ever let his vehicle go either. Good on you for keeping it man
Old 10-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
area 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Retired
area 52's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have this any more, but back in 2003, I bought this at the seized vehicle auction w90K on the clock for $1400 with a blown head gasket.

I got it running and never had more than 3K in it total and drove it until 2006 when I bought my 1st Tacoma.

If I would have been a little more internet savvy, I might have stumbled on to a portal like TW that discussed modding these trucks and I would probably still have it.

I removed the windows and paneled in the cap sides and used a roller to apply matching paint to the truck body.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
My Daily Driver 1979 Toyota Corolla Tercel:

Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post

THAT is a fuckin beater...
Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
.45%er

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post

That is sexy.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #20
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my commuter car/ beater got it within that budget before taxes