Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

My Roof Rack Attempt

Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
alexretama is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
alexretama's Tacoma Gallery
My Roof Rack Attempt

Why, you ask? Because I'm poor All said and done these ended up costing less than $50, a couple weekends, and a LOT of planning, measuring, measuring, measuring and fitting..

The feet are made of 3/16" plate steel

Load bars are 1"x1" 3/16" wall

Botled on with 1/4" x 1 1/2" carriage bolts (2 per foot)

Cut with a harbor freight grinder

Welded up with a harbor freight welder

Undercoated and bedlined

I'm really happy with the end result but I also had a blast building it! I think next I'm gonna try to muster up something a little more challenging like a tire swingout

Tell me what you think

Thanks for lookin
Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
^hate when that happens!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
How did you tighten up the carriage bolts ?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
lineman is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
lineman's Tacoma Gallery
Looks damn good...
Old 10-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Looks pretty sweet!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
A basket would look sick on there.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
A basket would look sick on there.
x2!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
How did you tighten up the carriage bolts ?
Pliers!!

Just kidding

I removed the head liner and cut out a tiny bit if the plastic reinforcement put on a washer and a nut on each one(theyre not threaded into the factory rack nuts) I know Its a little tedious but I live and work in the ghetto and dont want to get jacked
Old 10-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
CIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the rough
CIAGDDS's Tacoma Gallery
Looks better than the stock rack.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good what's that they say cut twice measure once.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good dude! Now how much for some 17" methods!!!??
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexretama View Post
Pliers!!

Just kidding

I removed the head liner and cut out a tiny bit if the plastic reinforcement put on a washer and a nut on each one(theyre not threaded into the factory rack nuts) I know Its a little tedious but I live and work in the ghetto and dont want to get jacked
How is that connection waterproofed ?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Lube?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
looks good alex...the truck has come along way from that day i sold you the front light bar

ps front light bar looks great i should have kept it jk
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
How is that connection waterproofed ?
Bolt goes down through the stock weatherstriping.... tighten it down enough and it should be fine. If obcessed with it, throw in some sealant as you slip the bolts through.

Looks better than my attempt, which is still in MDF form since I know nothing about working with metal. Since I started that project, I've had stainless steel M6 bolts tightened down through the factory foam cover... and no problems.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Damn nice job.....but I didn't get a chance to look at them too much because I was drooling over all of the Method wheels
Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
hook it up with some methodsss