Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Wife needs new car, narrowed down choices: need opinions.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
winL is on a distinguished road

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Wife needs new car, narrowed down choices: need opinions.

So the wife wants a new vehicle. We'll be expecting our first child soon. As fate would have it, it's been a headache. She narrowed down to her serious choices: '13 X3 and '13 Wrangler Unlimited. Her other choices that I had to just say no were the GLK and Q5. Her requirements are: 1) Looks (based on her opinion alone) 2) SUV/Crossover

So for the price of a base X3, I can pick up a nicely loaded Rubicon. And, since it'll rarely see the light of Moab, I'm positive a Sahara will do since she fancy's the matching colors of the fenders and tops.

Personal opinion:
Since the X3 and loaded Rubi will cost the same, my selfish self would prefer a Rubi since it's just more fun off-road. I could care less about the leaky doors and roof, the seats and driving position felt comfy to me, and the only thing I need is A/C. But it'll be loaded, just for her sake. But, I'm worried that'll it'll be plagued with problems.

I'm extremely religious about maintenance, will that 'help' in preventive measures with the JK? And, what problems are just unavoidable that I would have to look forward to.

As with the X3, any opinions other than the fact that it costs measurably more than your average vehicle 'if' it ever needs fixing? I hate the fact that BMW requires the tranny fluid to be poured in at a certain temp, does it even have the dipstick for the motor anymore? I know the M3 doesn't.

I prefer wrenching things myself if possible, she drives at most 10k a year if that makes any difference.

Thanks all.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious why you ruled out the Q5 and kept the X3?

Between those 2, the Jeep would be more fun but as a daily driver the X3 is probably more practical (this is coming from someone living in an area where it's cold 6 months out of the year and potentially snowing for a lot of that time. If you live in a fair weather area, the Jeep would likely be a lot more fun.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I think Jeep quality sucks a fat one. I wouldn't buy any Jeep for a DD. Cheap interiors and crappy power trains. Not what I would pay money for.
Drop an Acura MDX brochure on the counter. 100x better.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
If it was me even tho not feeling the BMW it's for her and if I got my gf a rubi I would end up wrecking it and she would be pissed just another issue she could use against me

I went to buy a suv b4 the Tacoma no one wanted to help me at BMW and the douch acted if I was some young punk that didn't know nothing and tried to sell me a white x3 with all that cheap black plastic on the side I wanted an all white one with nav and hid upgraded lighting he said it's not worth the money.the GLK was gonna take atleast 5mnths to be built and shipped
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #5

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Most people I know that drives an Audi has their engine light on most of the time, and while she drives an 08 VW with 32k, it's got an engine light on also(false code), but its enough to keep me away.

The most difficult part is we'll definitely have more fun and adventures with the JK, if not for that fact, I'd go the X3 route. Should I seriously just forget the fun part that I can have with the jeep and take the latter option?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Mikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
Mikehole's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed with the dude above me. Jeep wranglers are known for their offroad prowess, not on road comfort.

Go with the X3, otherwise your wife is going to be miserable driving the Jeep Sahara as a DD, and in turn, she'll make YOU miserable.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
MarkEmarK is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarkEmarK's Tacoma Gallery
IMO since you are having a child soon, I would choose the X3 since it is a lot more safer in an accedent over the Jeep. You wouldn't want anything to happen to your child. When my daughter was born, one of the first purchases I did was buy a brand new Toyota Venza fully loaded with AWD.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
If it was me even tho not feeling the BMW it's for her and if I got my gf a rubi I would end up wrecking it and she would be pissed just another issue she could use against me

I went to buy a suv b4 the Tacoma no one wanted to help me at BMW and the douch acted if I was some young punk that didn't know nothing and tried to sell me a white x3 with all that cheap black plastic on the side I wanted an all white one with nav and hid upgraded lighting he said it's not worth the money.the GLK was gonna take atleast 5mnths to be built and shipped
Most sales people at luxury dealerships are as rude as they come. That fact alone and the money pit a benz is is ridiculous.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #9

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEmarK View Post
IMO since you are having a child soon, I would choose the X3 since it is a lot more safer in an accedent over the Jeep. You wouldn't want anything to happen to your child. When my daughter was born, one of the first purchases I did was buy a brand new Toyota Venza fully loaded with AWD.
Great point.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #10

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehole View Post
Agreed with the dude above me. Jeep wranglers are known for their offroad prowess, not on road comfort.

Go with the X3, otherwise your wife is going to be miserable driving the Jeep Sahara as a DD, and in turn, she'll make YOU miserable.
+1
Old 10-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Tell her to check out the Toyo Venza. Ride is amazing, loaded with options. Mine bought herself a V6 with AWD, has the panoramic sunroof...pretty slick. She has the JBL sound system too, the thing is amazing for stock system. Nav, bluetooth etc.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Nissan Murano is super nice!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #13

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco47001 View Post
Tell her to check out the Toyo Venza. Ride is amazing, loaded with options. Mine bought herself a V6 with AWD, has the panoramic sunroof...pretty slick. She has the JBL sound system too, the thing is amazing for stock system. Nav, bluetooth etc.
I'll bring that up. Mind if I ask how much yours was loaded?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
Pauhana is on a distinguished road

Pauhana's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to consider is how long you plan to keep the suv. My wife has the X5 4.4 & while I like the car the maintenance on it sucks. Granted it's an 04 & has 120k miles when there are issues it is costly. Right now there's a small oil leak from the valve covers. When I say small leak it is just a few drops a day. Cost to repair was quoted at $1k from an independent shop that was referred from a mechanic that we've dealt with for the last 4 years. I was told that it was typical for the BMW's to leak at the valve covers over time. My M5 had 5k miles and had a small leak. Granted it was 5yrs & I hardly drove it. It is not a vehicle that I can easily work on. Oil chages are fine. Tune up ran me around $600. Tires are terrible and last only 24k miles or so. She has the staggered 19" wheels so you cannot rotate it. While the X3 is nice unless you want to pay the cost to maintain it long time it's not worth it.
We'll be looking for an suv shortly and are considering either the Honda Pilot or the Toyota Highlander. I have 3 kids and leaning towards the Pilot since it has more room.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Venza or Highlander. AWD or 4WD. Or Lexus RX.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
trussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nice

Name: Tyler
trussell456's Tacoma Gallery
For a daily driver i would never buy a jeep! One of the least reliable vehicles on the road!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Lexus GX460. Luxury with Landcruiser roots

Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
MarkEmarK is on a distinguished road
MarkEmarK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by winL View Post
I'll bring that up. Mind if I ask how much yours was loaded?
What part of the Bay Area are you located in? My buddy is the GM at Toyota Vallejo. Tell him Esteban sent ya in and he will take care of you! Bought my '10 Venza and '12 Tacoma from him. No need to haggle!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
GenuineRides is on a distinguished road
GenuineRides's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at the Venza like others have suggested, we have an '11 V6 AWD loaded with heated leather, bluetooth, sunroof and panoramic, backup camera etc. It was the best economical deal for what you got compared to the others, it's a super comfortable ride (keeps the wife happy, plus I'm 6'4" and have legroom both in front and rear) the backseat is HUGE (keeps the kids happy) plus with a little one in a car seat in the middle you still have room for two others back there, plus the factory 20" wheels with the body proportions looks great and the JBL sound system rocks. Only downside is it's not meant for any offroad travel.

GenuineRides
Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #20

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEmarK View Post
What part of the Bay Area are you located in? My buddy is the GM at Toyota Vallejo. Tell him Esteban sent ya in and he will take care of you! Bought my '10 Venza and '12 Tacoma from him. No need to haggle!
I moved to Daly City now from Benicia, very familiar with that dealership. It'll be worth a trip if the price is great and the wife is fine with any Toyota vehicles. I'll make sure to mention your name. Thanks!