Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

08 Dodge Avenger trouble

Old 11-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
08 Dodge Avenger trouble

Hey,

This seemed to stump the guys on an Avenger forum so I thought I would run this by you guys as well...

My wife and I have an 08 Avenger SXT with the 2.4. Auto transmission.

She told me the other day that the car did something strange and tried to describe it to me. I will do my best to describe it to you all.

She said that when on the way to work, she was making a turn at a low speed, the steering wheel seemed to "lock up" and the red oil light came on. She said it was very quick then the oil light went off and the steering and everything seemed normal. Her drive home from work was fine as well.

I am unsure if the steering "locked" or if it just became difficult due to the power steering having a problem. Of course, I am concerned about this because it could be a safety issue if the steering is actually locking while the car is in motion.

I am no mechanic but i checked the oil and all other fluids, they are at the right levels and clean. No visible leaks either. I tried driving the vehicle and could not duplicate the problem.

Any guesses? I plan to take it to get looked at but I like to go in to the shop with some kind of clue as to what the problem may be.

The engine stalling or coming close to it was a thought I had.

As for the codes and alternator, I do not have a reader or meter. Battery is in good shape and clean as far as I can tell. It is not corroded or anything like that. The belt tension is fine and the belt itself is in good condition. And the idle is smooth as silk. I m not sure off hand where the RPM's are when idling, I will have to check but it idles like new.

I will do some more research. It has not happened since that one time. Maybe it was a fluke, who knows... Either way, it has me a bit uneasy about the safety. And the oil light is never good news. I told her if it happened again, she is not driving it until it gets checked out. However, she insists because she does not like my truck. WTF!

F'n Dodge.. Anyways, thanks again for the help! I will keep you posted...

Thanks for all of your help!

Mark
Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
ohsixtaco is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Aaron
ohsixtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had my old rx 8 do that to me! the battery wire was loose did it three times before I noticed it. not saying this is your problem but that was mine.