Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

2007 Sienna LE water pump fail at 54miles - WTF!!

Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
2007 Sienna LE water pump fail at 54miles - WTF!!

Since the equivelent of tacoma world for Sienna's is SiennaChat and it sucks......I think I may need to bounce a question of two off guys.

We are the only owners and it has 54k miles. Pulley for water pump is "wiggly" indicating bearing for water pump is going out (dealer told me and showed me). Service manager said this was "unheard of" but it is not under warranty.

Your thoughts?

Second situation is small grinding noise from inside the rear passenger power door when it opens. There is a TSB for the cable...i'll have to look up the number....but the cable is fine for now. Looking for a solution before the door becomes a big problem or motor gives out.

Thanks....any Toyota Techs lurking???

I did pm this thread to toyotech31
Old 11-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
The water pump should be under whatever warranty you still have at that age/mileage.
Likewise for the door.

Sounds like you might want to find a different dealer. Many don't like dealing with warranty/extended warranty repairs because they don't make the same money (markup) that they make on customer-paid repairs. Oil changes and tune-ups are their bread and butter. The water pump... especially on a minivan... is going to have a tech tied up for 4-6 hours.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The water pump should be under whatever warranty you still have at that age/mileage.
Likewise for the door.

Sounds like you might want to find a different dealer. Many don't like dealing with warranty/extended warranty repairs because they don't make the same money (markup) that they make on customer-paid repairs. Oil changes and tune-ups are their bread and butter. The water pump... especially on a minivan... is going to have a tech tied up for 4-6 hours.
He probably only has the power train warranty left and as far as I know, water pumps aren't covered under that.

And they do get paid the flat rate for the repair. In fact most dealer don't make any money on oil changes. It is used as a lose leader to get people in the door to try and upsell additional services.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
He probably only has the power train warranty left and as far as I know, water pumps aren't covered under that.
That's why the caveat... I was hoping he had an extended, but even there, an '07 he's pushing 5-6 years and it might be gone by now.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, Bash is right. My warranty was up at 36k. BUt a water pump failure at 54k. I am pretty sure they don't even suggest inspecting it until 90k.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely not unheard of for the water pump or any accessory for that matter to go out prematurely. It just sucks that it doesn't happen under warranty.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango down View Post
Yeah, Bash is right. My warranty was up at 36k. BUt a water pump failure at 54k. I am pretty sure they don't even suggest inspecting it until 90k.
Ya, I'd definitely try to take it to the next level. Unless the coolant has not been maintained properly, there's no reason for a water pump to go out at even triple that mileage.

I changed the pump in my '03 Tundra when I replaced the timing belt at 106k, but only because I didn't trust it to make it to 200k and the belt has to come off to replace the pump.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Policy Ninja

Dealer said it was 3.5 hours for the engine in the 07. Some other Sienna engine has a ten hour job "by the book." And Dex, you are right....why not fail under warranty.....GRRRR
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Policy Ninja

Quote:
Ya, I'd definitely try to take it to the next level. Unless the coolant has not been maintained properly, there's no reason for a water pump to go out at even triple that mileage.

I changed the pump in my '03 Tundra when I replaced the timing belt at 106k, but only because I didn't trust it to make it to 200k and the belt has to come off to replace the pump.
I tried googling my way to an answer on my water pump and I found a lot of people doing what you did. All the labor to get the timing belt changed/replaced...the pump is just a few more bolts. Smart move Rich.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #10

Exactly. I did the belt myself, the pump was only $100 more on the pile of parts.
I think the job may have cost me $350 and a Saturday afternoon... about 6 hours, could probably do it again in 4.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yea I agree 100%. They all get some type of customer service budget from the OE for situations like this. The sad part is that as reliable as Toyotas are, they are still machines and machines fail at unpredictable periods.

When was your coolant supposed to be replaced? Not that I am sure the coolant even touches the bearing or not.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Policy Ninja

Usually the oil change guys at whatever LubePro Quick Oil place checks the antifreeze. They usually push all sorts of shit but I don't think coolant is until 90k or so. But I don't know for sure and the owners manual is outside and it just started snowing.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango down View Post
Usually the oil change guys at whatever LubePro Quick Oil place checks the antifreeze. They usually push all sorts of shit but I don't think coolant is until 90k or so. But I don't know for sure and the owners manual is outside and it just started snowing.
Lucky bastard, I want the snow here!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
It can happen, I had the pump in my 97 Olds Achieva with the Quad 4 fail at 48k. In fairness, the car sat for 4 months when I wasn't legally allowed to drive it. That job sucked, in the back of the engine.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Yota's got WP issues. More issues with just coolant leaks than pulley/bearing issues it seems however.

You should be covered under the 60K powertrain warranty. The water pump on my 08 Taco started leaking in the 40K's...took it to Toyota. Verified the leak, had the WP replaced under warranty.

Not sure on the time aspect of the warranty. Can't remember if it's 5 or 6 years/60K powertrain warranty.

Find a different dealer, your getting jacked around.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
Policy Ninja

Thanks everyone!!! Good news. The toyo dealer is covering half the labor AND the price of the pump. So....out of pocket cost is about 150. I can live with that. They are fixing it now and gave me a loaner to drive around. Hopefully, they don't sprinkle gremlins in it.