Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

"AAA warns E15 gasoline could cause car damage"

Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Most of my small engines won't run right with E10 without the use of additives. I'd imagine it will be much worse with E15. I'm curious to see some real proof that it will or won't cause damage in a larger engine though. The ethanol just doesn't seem to play well with the small engine's carbs.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
I believe it. Ethanol and smaller engines don't seem to mix well- E-10's bad enough.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
I believe it. Ethanol and smaller engines don't seem to mix well- E-10's bad enough.
The only way the small engines stay running at my house is Startron fuel treatment. It's relatively cheap and seems to do it's job well. Hopefully I won't have to start using that in the truck also... I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
cant even get E-15 here... that I know of.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
"BMW, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota and VW have said their warranties will not cover fuel-related claims caused by E15. Ford, Honda, Kia, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo have said E15 use will void warranties, says Darbelnet, citing potential corrosive damage to fuel lines, gaskets and other engine components.

Gasoline blended with 10% ethanol has become standard at most of the nation's 160,000 gas stations, spurred by federal laws and standards designed to use more renewable energy sources and lessen the nation's dependence on foreign oil. Pushed by ethanol producers, the EPA approved the use of E15 -- a 15% ethanol-gasoline blend -- in June over objections from automakers and the oil industry. It's been available at a handful of outlets in Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska since July.

EPA stickers affixed to gas station pumps say E15 is safe for use in virtually all vehicles 2001 and newer. (USA TODAY made repeated requests for EPA comment.)

But AAA -- in an unusual warning for a travel organization -- says the sale and use of E15 should be stopped until there is more-extensive testing, better pump labels to safeguard consumers and more consumer education about potential hazards."

No shit. Ethanol pisses me off.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know of a good and cost effective additive to possibly reduce the negative effects of E10?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
This is for E85... not E15... But still a good article nonetheless.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...ison-test.html

Basically proves that the only "positive" worth noting is that it's a "renewable resource"

I run a landscaping business and all the ethanol is horrible on my 2 cycle equipment. Around here there aren't any gas stations that sell straight gasoline anymore. The closest one is like 75 miles away.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
Anyone know of a good and cost effective additive to possibly reduce the negative effects of E10?
Startron. It's relatively inexpensive and seems to keep my motorcycle, lawn mower and snow blower running well. 1 bottle treats something like 160 gallons and only costs about $6 or 7. So far, I've been impressed with it. I used to use K100 and that did the job also but was very expensive. Startron seems to work better and is a fraction of the cost.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Most of my small engines won't run right with E10 without the use of additives. I'd imagine it will be much worse with E15. I'm curious to see some real proof that it will or won't cause damage in a larger engine though. The ethanol just doesn't seem to play well with the small engine's carbs.
What additives do you use?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I burn enough gas in landscaping equipment that I don't worry about it, but when I "winterize" my equipment, I mix stabil in with the gas then run the equipment for a couple minutes to cycle the stabil into the carbs and such. Then I drain all the gas out of the tanks, then run the equipment til it runs out of gas to empty the carbs and fuel lines. I know they say to store the tanks full of gas, but It's all parked indoors in a climate controlled space so I don't really have to worry about condensation issues. I just pour the rest of the gas in the truck rather than leaving it sitting around all winter. The rest of the 2 cycle mix fuel gets burned in the backpack blower and chainsaw throughout the winter for various chores.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
I burn enough gas in landscaping equipment that I don't worry about it, but when I "winterize" my equipment, I mix stabil in with the gas then run the equipment for a couple minutes to cycle the stabil into the carbs and such. Then I drain all the gas out of the tanks, then run the equipment til it runs out of gas to empty the carbs and fuel lines. I know they say to store the tanks full of gas, but It's all parked indoors in a climate controlled space so I don't really have to worry about condensation issues. I just pour the rest of the gas in the truck rather than leaving it sitting around all winter. The rest of the 2 cycle mix fuel gets burned in the backpack blower and chainsaw throughout the winter for various chores.
I use stabil on my bikes when I know I wont ride for a couple months. I did not know that it will help with the truck as a regular additive for E10 fuel.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I use stabil on my bikes when I know I wont ride for a couple months. I did not know that it will help with the truck as a regular additive for E10 fuel.
I don't use anything for the truck, I just burn the E10. I haven't really noticed the ethanol making the truck run poorly. Startron can be used for the truck also, I just don't feel the need to spend the money when it's running fine. The motorcycles and smaller engines, on the other hand, would run like crap. The bike would constantly be 'popping' or would start very hard if it sat for a few days, the small engines were constantly requiring carb rebuilds etc. I use Startron in all my small engines and haven't had a problem since. This winter, when I put my bike away, I just topped off the fuel (I refill the bike with a 5 gal jug with the additive already mixed in), threw a cover over it, unhooked the battery and walked away. Next spring, it'll fire up and run perfectly fine.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
E15 will not hurt your engine if you use it a lot. If it sits for days, the ethanol turns to a varnish and coats the tank and lines and injectors. That is where an additive comes in. If you are running the engine everyday and use the gas frequently, you don't need an additive every tank. Just once a month or so is what I do. Marvel mystery oil is my additive of choice.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
E15 will not hurt your engine if you use it a lot. If it sits for days, the ethanol turns to a varnish and coats the tank and lines and injectors. That is where an additive comes in. If you are running the engine everyday and use the gas frequently, you don't need an additive every tank. Just once a month or so is what I do. Marvel mystery oil is my additive of choice.
This.
Ethanol can mess up a fuel system badly. The reason we can run E10 is because we drive so much. I used to work at a boat shop. Most of our work was fuel issues caused by ethanol. If they bump all the pumps to E15 ill use startron or non ethanol if possible