Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Price range on 89 TOYOTA?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Price range on 89 TOYOTA?

So I am quite interested in this pickup but I dont know what it's value is, what do you think would be a fair price to pay?

Here are the specs that are provided
1989 toyota pickup
5 speed 4x4 v6
Body Damage On Back Passenger Panel, Shows Low Oil Pressure After It Has Ran A While.
122306 Miles Showing

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
That engine bay makes me cringe. $1500 maybe? Thats pretty low miles, but by the looks of it, they've been hard miles.
Maybe lower depending on that oil pressure issue. My 89 w/ the 3.0 always showed lower oil pressure after it was warm.
I would check those intake boots for cracks too. Thats what dusted mine. They just dried out and one cracked at the seam.
Timing belt been done?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
That truck well maintained and in good condition could easily go for 2-4k

in that condition . . . depends on a lot. Are you just going to have to dust the engine off and give it a little tune up, or replace half the parts on the truck? The only way of telling is looking at it yourself or even better having a mech look it over as a pre-vehicle purchase and tell you what all it will need done.

It really depends on what you would pay for it more than what it's worth too. These old pickups always sell for a lot more than kbb value due to rarity and reliability (if they're in good shape)
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
1500 is high. I had trouble selling a *clean* 94 F150 4x4 for 1500 two years ago.

I know - that was a ford and this is a toyota.

But it's a pickup, and condition matters.

The oil pressure light worries me more than anything. It's possibly a bad sensor - but just as likely NOT a bad sensor.

What else is for sale in your area to compare it to? Personally I'd probably just let this one pass and wait for a cleaner one to come along. At this age - often the difference in price between a clean truck and a rough truck isn't all that much.

Probably the value of this truck is somewhere between 400 and 1100, and I'd personally offer much closer to the lower end of that range.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
That thing's been part of a work fleet right?

Personally, if I'm looking for a truck for myself, I usually rule those out and hold off and wait until a truck that was owned by an individual comes along.

Always generalities, but usually a truck owned by an individual will have had less "hard" use (unless owned by some hardcore 4x4 driver) and be better taken care of and in better condition.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
hold out for a four banger
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Senior Airman
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
1500 is high. I had trouble selling a *clean* 94 F150 4x4 for 1500 two years ago.

I know - that was a ford and this is a toyota.

But it's a pickup, and condition matters.

The oil pressure light worries me more than anything. It's possibly a bad sensor - but just as likely NOT a bad sensor.

What else is for sale in your area to compare it to? Personally I'd probably just let this one pass and wait for a cleaner one to come along. At this age - often the difference in price between a clean truck and a rough truck isn't all that much.

Probably the value of this truck is somewhere between 400 and 1100, and I'd personally offer much closer to the lower end of that range.
Compairing an F150 to a toyota pick up is apples to oranges.... id say a good condition truck with that milage would be around 2500-3k. Does the a/c work? If oil pressure is the only major issue, I wouldn't have any issue spending $1500 on it.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a comparable for you. 1500 and both the engine and transmission have been rebuilt.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/3363026489.html
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Here's another comp.

Trucks that have been cared for ask more. But even still, I doubt this guy will get 5200.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3417263542.html
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
4 years ago I sold my 89 ext cab v6 5sp with 246k on it. Had 34k on engine rebuild and new clutch. I got $4500 out of it the first week it was for sale. It was power everything, sun roof, shell, everything worked and only had a small dent under the driver door where I got into a rock out wheeling. I know thats way off from what this, but they are still worth a good chunk in the right condition.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
also this x846

might as well get that 22R-E goodness
Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
yep. the 3.0 can be somewhat. . . . well. . . . difficult. plus the 22re has all the easy to upgrade hardware behind it. like the t-case. and you get to oggle cool websites like 22reperformance

buy a 22re and the only thing to worry about is pulling the valve-cover and looking at chain/ guide wear. if the guides are still there that is. . . . and if its bad, you know it by looking and can still replace it much easier than that silly belt.

my feeling is just that, when buying a 20+ year old truck, your hands are going to be in it if you wanna keep it for a while. it might as well be a simplistic as possible.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
That truck well maintained and in good condition could easily go for 2-4k

in that condition . . . depends on a lot. Are you just going to have to dust the engine off and give it a little tune up, or replace half the parts on the truck? The only way of telling is looking at it yourself or even better having a mech look it over as a pre-vehicle purchase and tell you what all it will need done.

It really depends on what you would pay for it more than what it's worth too. These old pickups always sell for a lot more than kbb value due to rarity and reliability (if they're in good shape)
I would really like to check this out in person but it is 500 miles away, and it is an online auction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
That thing's been part of a work fleet right?

Personally, if I'm looking for a truck for myself, I usually rule those out and hold off and wait until a truck that was owned by an individual comes along.

Always generalities, but usually a truck owned by an individual will have had less "hard" use (unless owned by some hardcore 4x4 driver) and be better taken care of and in better condition.

work fleet... possibly... it says it is from Southwest Wheat Inc... so that could be a brother-brother farm operation or 100,000+ acre farming operation.... hard to say.
I also agree about the personally owned statement.
but for the right price i may be interested.

Quote:
Quote:
yep. the 3.0 can be somewhat. . . . well. . . . difficult. plus the 22re has all the easy to upgrade hardware behind it. like the t-case. and you get to oggle cool websites like 22reperformance

buy a 22re and the only thing to worry about is pulling the valve-cover and looking at chain/ guide wear. if the guides are still there that is. . . . and if its bad, you know it by looking and can still replace it much easier than that silly belt.

my feeling is just that, when buying a 20+ year old truck, your hands are going to be in it if you wanna keep it for a while. it might as well be a simplistic as possible.
I have another toyota with the 22re 5spd 2wd with 267,xxx miles on it, it is a great engine indeed.

so basically it sounds like the price range is between 400-4500
I would like to nab it up for under 1k if possible, but who knows.
Thanks again guys for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
I would really like to check this out in person but it is 500 miles away, and it is an online auction.
There are three ways to handle "sight unseen online auctions."

1. walk away or,
2. bid stupid low or,
3. risk getting taken to the cleaners.

your choice.