Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Help devaluing a vehicle?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Help devaluing a vehicle?

Sooo a friend of mine backed her minivan into my truck earlier this year. Didn't claim it on insurance or anything. She now wants to sell the van.

Was hoping to get some opinions on what would be the best approach. Have a shop fix all the damage? Replace the door ourselves? Leave it alone and sell as-is?

As-is, any idea as to how much this damage will devalue it?

It's a clean (with the exception of the door ding ) 2005 Grand Caravan SXT with 105,000 miles.

And picture of said friend

Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
All I see is milf...
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Wrinkle below the taillight too.
Replacing the tailgate is not going to hide the fact that it's been hit.
105k? The tailgate will cost 3x what you'll get back on the sale.

I'd sell it as-is
KBB values that model and mileage at about 6900 for SoCal. Might be a little lower up there in salt-city.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Check the bluebook, see what that damage does to the resale value. Chances are the repair will cost as much as the difference between "perfect condition" and "damaged condition". Get 3 quotes, average them, and knock that off the "perfect condition" bluebook value.

Get a quote to fix it. I'm guessing it will be around $2-3k by a professional. The only good thing about the damage is that ding under the tail light, it can be blocked for paint at that weird verticle line as opposed to re clearing that whole panel, post repair.

You can get cheapo aftermarket doors, but you'll need to swap the lock, glass, wiper motor, wiring etc. Plus paint. Many times the aftermarket doors for american makes aren't best fit... but the average mini van buyer wouldn't notice the difference.

Tail light needs to be replaced. It might be cheaper to get 2 aftermarket complete tail lights than 1 oem.

Maybe you could get lucky and find the same model van (same color would be ideal) totalled from the front. Swap in the used door then get that ding under the tail light fixed for $500ish.

You're best bet would be to chum up with a good bodyman and see what he can do for you as a sidejob, cash deal. The job is fairly easy, but with shop overhead, labor costs, parts mark up, etc.it's going to cost you a lot. Many shop foreman will occasionally throw their body guys a bone and let them use the facility after hours to suppliment income... but then again, you're at the mercy of the bodyman, not the shop, so if the paint doesn't match or something, oh well!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
That's a hell of a 'door ding'. I was expecting a small dent, not half of the rear gate crushed in

I agree with Rich though, sell it as-is.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
Sighless is on a distinguished road
Sighless's Tacoma Gallery
go to local junkyards, and get another tailgate in the same colour and swap it out, yourself..

4-500$ for a new tailgate maybe?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutheastTaco View Post
All I see is milf...
This.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Wrinkle below the taillight too.
The van? Or her?

I kid. I kid.

OP the best thing to do would be to price it a cheap shop. Since you are just looking to sell, no need to go to a fancy shop and get the "guaranteed" repairs, lifetime paint guarantees, etc.

That would be your best "value"

If the vehicle is in really good condition other than that, you need to have it fixed; if it is a beater, then just leave it as is.