Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Automotive "Black Box" Coming in 2014

Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Automotive "Black Box" Coming in 2014

The Obama administration has approved putting a black box data recorder in all US vehicles by 2014:

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-n...1531/#50131531

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, a person really better think twice about speeding because the insurance company is now going to know that you were speeding if you get into an accident. Good luck getting affordable insurance if that's the case If people know their driving habits are being recorded, *maybe* people will drive a little safer.

On the other hand, the government already has it's hands in too much of my life
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
nytro is on a distinguished road
nytro's Tacoma Gallery
Goodbye sweet America.

The land of the free? My ass.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I see where this could be helpful in crashes and help give the police clues to what happened in the event of a crash but it is a little creepy knowing there is a box recording every move you make.....
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytro View Post
Goodbye sweet America.

x2 this is scary
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the ecm already recorded some stuff. The computer recorded something like a running data stream of the last 30 seconds or 5 minutes or something.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
I thought the ecm already recorded some stuff. The computer recorded something like a running data stream of the last 30 seconds or 5 minutes or something.
^X2
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup.

Most, but not all, vehicles have had a data recorder for the last 10-15 years.

It doesn't transmit anywhere, your insurance company and the DMV won't know how fast or how far or where you're driving (they can get that from your smartphone anyways).
It simply logs basic data, and the cops can download the information in the event of an accident to help determine fault, and whether or not to press charges and to what degree.

So yes, it can fuck you if you fucked up... but it can also be a big help if you didn't.

If someone t-boned you and killed your child, would you not want the cops to know that they were rolling 10 over the limit and never hit the brake?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Rich, and wtf does Obama have to do with this?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Probably lower insurance rates too in the end
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
your insurance company and the DMV won't know how fast or how far or where you're driving
Yet...

I do have to wonder if there are rules regarding the disabling of said unit.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #12
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Probably lower insurance rates too in the end
U think any insurance company is going to lower its rates?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #13
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ECM does record things. not sure why they would want this black box. as far as the insurance company NOW all of the sudden knowing you were speeding when you got into an accident, why dont you just be honest in the first place?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #14
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's funny hearing people saying that if things like this are to happen that it will impede our freedom. If the black box gave information that you were going 10mph over the speed limit, you're still going OVER the speed limit and breaking the law, it's not going to matter if the black box catches that or if a cop catches you. I wouldn't mind having one of these in my car because if I was going over the speed limit, I got in an accident, and I was at fault it would be on my dumb ass. And it would make me feel better if that could be the same for other cars as well.

I don't know how much information the black box will give out but under this aspect of car accidents and speeding, with all of the dumbass drivers on the road today I'd be in support of this.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
What I find silly is that we are given the *freedom* to 'hang ourselves' so to speak... i.e., we are given the *freedom* to buy vehicles that can go 200+ mph, but it's illegal to drive faster than the speed limit. (You could argue that your 200+ mph car only goes that fast on a track, but I don't know of too many insurance companies that will insure you for that either.)

Rather than record that you were speeding and slap your hands for doing so after-the-fact, why not mandate that all car's computers limit the top end speed to something like 75 mph (or whatever the max speed limit is in the nation.) Heck, with GPS be so available, why not have the car's computer govern the speed on all roads so that one can't speed?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
x2 this is scary
x3!

The direction of this country makes me ashamed to call myself an american, its really disappointing......

Call me crazy but I think the speed limit itself is unsafe. IMO a speed limit gives people a false sense of safety and while in this state they think they can talk on the phone, put on make up and eat a burrito all at the same time. While the speeder on the other hand is on high alert and is always watching (mainly for cops) for things like a driver making a lane change or other odd things that happen on the road. Also the speeder almost never has anyone driving in their blind spot (one of my peeves when I rarely DO drive the speed limit). But I just think that a speed limit makes people think "OK im doing the speed limit, Im being safe and nothings gonna happen to me" then BAM they let their guard down and get caught not paying attention.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
x2 this is scary
Why
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytro View Post
Goodbye sweet America.

wut