1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Vintage "Pre-Computer-Era" Tercel Economy Model?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by rempfer, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Dec 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    rempfer

rempfer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    Elma WA
    I'm shopping for an economy car.

I can't really afford a new car.

I have quite a bit of experience but have been disappointed with the few late 80's/early 90's ECU Toyotas and Hondas I've owned. It seems to me that during this period emissions control was really not ready for market, still prototypical -- hard for the backyard mechanic to work on and often with problems/codes that were either undecipherable or unresolvable.

I've always really liked the old Toyotas. Rear wheel drive would be okay with me, but for sure I'd like to get a stick shift gas miser produced PRIOR to the emissions control laws coming into play.

A buddy of mine that I've lost track of always really liked Tercels. The little bit of research I've done appears to show that a 1300 cc model was built at one time.

I wonder if you guys would mind commenting, please, on which years/models of small cube Corollas and Tercels you would recommend from back in the pre-emissions good old days?

I'm ready to start shopping around!

Many thanks,
    - Dick

Products Discussed in

To Top