LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Best Vintage "Pre-Computer-Era" Tercel Economy Model?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
rempfer is on a distinguished road
Name: Dick
rempfer's Tacoma Gallery
Best Vintage "Pre-Computer-Era" Tercel Economy Model?

I'm shopping for an economy car.

I can't really afford a new car.

I have quite a bit of experience but have been disappointed with the few late 80's/early 90's ECU Toyotas and Hondas I've owned. It seems to me that during this period emissions control was really not ready for market, still prototypical -- hard for the backyard mechanic to work on and often with problems/codes that were either undecipherable or unresolvable.

I've always really liked the old Toyotas. Rear wheel drive would be okay with me, but for sure I'd like to get a stick shift gas miser produced PRIOR to the emissions control laws coming into play.

A buddy of mine that I've lost track of always really liked Tercels. The little bit of research I've done appears to show that a 1300 cc model was built at one time.

I wonder if you guys would mind commenting, please, on which years/models of small cube Corollas and Tercels you would recommend from back in the pre-emissions good old days?

I'm ready to start shopping around!

Many thanks,
- Dick