1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has a car cover?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ajohnson, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jan 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson [OP] Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I am going to be ordering a cover for my Dad's '95 GMC Sierra for his birthday. It is his baby, but unfortunately it sits outside all winter while the water toys sit in the garage.

It is a very clean truck, don't mind the bird shit on the mirrow
    [​IMG]

I have never used a cover, and would like to have some opinions on what to look for: brands, material, etc.

2. Jan 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    fourbyfour

fourbyfour Active Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    None yet
    Get a garage in a box if you have the space. I heard car covers can be bad for cars unless they're stored in doors.

3. Jan 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    ajohnson

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    The HOA will not allow a garage in a box.

4. Jan 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Car covers are hit or miss. If they flap in the wind they will ruin the paint..but on the other hand, they protect from day to day elements.

If you are going to do it, get one of the soft lined ones..it will ease the abuse on the paint.

5. Jan 13, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Be very careful with car covers. There are some that can completely enclose the car like a cocoon. Do NOT get one of those. Covers can hold moisture and imbed itself in the paint,even the breathable one. For keeping sunlight and uv off they are great however they have risks. The perfect world is to keep the sun off it with it being able to breath in a garage, lean to, or portable garage. Make sure the cover is tight but I would remove the cover once in a while to let the moisture dry and clean the junk that can get under the cover on the edges. That can really ruin the paint in a hurry. Nice truck but I've done all the scenarios with covers and been burned with them. Keep after it..

6. Jan 13, 2013 at 5:53 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Be very careful with car covers. There are some that can completely enclose the car like a cocoon. Do NOT get one of those. Covers can hold moisture and imbed itself in the paint,even the breathable one. For keeping sunlight and uv off they are great however they have risks. The perfect world is to keep the sun off it with it being able to breath in a garage, lean to, or portable garage. Make sure the cover is tight but I would remove the cover once in a while to let the moisture dry and clean the junk that can get under the cover on the edges. That can really ruin the paint in a hurry. Nice truck but I've done all the scenarios with covers and been burned with them. Keep after it..

7. Jan 13, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Mmmmm punter froze. Sorry for the double post.

8. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    ajohnson

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Its all good. I appreciate your input. I was looking at the Covercraft Weathersheild HP.

We definately don't want to ruin the paint. If it is a bad idea to use a cover outside in the winter months, then I may talk him it of it and come up with another solution. The truck is parked at the lakehouse 1.5 hours away. We could store the jetskis at the warehouse, but it would be more of a hassle and the garage would be slam packed with the truck and boat and everything else. He is kicking himself for not building a 3 car garage :rolleyes:

9. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Never enough garage space. My boys paint got ruined on his Monte Carlo due to a moisture problem with car cover. I made the mistake years ago of not pulling the cover once in a while and we paid the price in one winter.

10. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    ajohnson

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    :(

How often is once in a while in your opinion? I don't know if we could make it up there often to check on it.

11. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Garage in a box--best bet!

12. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    ajohnson

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    As stated already that is not an option with the HOA.

13. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    That's why I posted. If you have a lot of temp variance then you would need to do it like every couple of weeks and let it sit in the sun for a day. If its like cold cold for a month with no warm up or humidity variance then you could leave it on longer. The problem is moisture between the cover and paint. Even a breathable one can hold moisture if there is snow on the cover and then it warms up and melts and freezes. Not being around is the problem. I'm just offering my insight and not trying to sway you but letting the truck paint breath and dry is the important thing.

14. Jan 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    Langfordd

Langfordd New Member

Member:
    I recommend the Covercraft Technalon Evolution. I own one and love it. Check out CoverQuest.com very reasonable price.

Products Discussed in

To Top