Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Who has a car cover?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Who has a car cover?

I am going to be ordering a cover for my Dad's '95 GMC Sierra for his birthday. It is his baby, but unfortunately it sits outside all winter while the water toys sit in the garage.

It is a very clean truck, don't mind the bird shit on the mirrow

I have never used a cover, and would like to have some opinions on what to look for: brands, material, etc.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
fourbyfour is a glorious beacon of lightfourbyfour is a glorious beacon of lightfourbyfour is a glorious beacon of lightfourbyfour is a glorious beacon of lightfourbyfour is a glorious beacon of light

fourbyfour's Tacoma Gallery
Get a garage in a box if you have the space. I heard car covers can be bad for cars unless they're stored in doors.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Car covers are hit or miss. If they flap in the wind they will ruin the paint..but on the other hand, they protect from day to day elements.

If you are going to do it, get one of the soft lined ones..it will ease the abuse on the paint.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Be very careful with car covers. There are some that can completely enclose the car like a cocoon. Do NOT get one of those. Covers can hold moisture and imbed itself in the paint,even the breathable one. For keeping sunlight and uv off they are great however they have risks. The perfect world is to keep the sun off it with it being able to breath in a garage, lean to, or portable garage. Make sure the cover is tight but I would remove the cover once in a while to let the moisture dry and clean the junk that can get under the cover on the edges. That can really ruin the paint in a hurry. Nice truck but I've done all the scenarios with covers and been burned with them. Keep after it..
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Be very careful with car covers. There are some that can completely enclose the car like a cocoon. Do NOT get one of those. Covers can hold moisture and imbed itself in the paint,even the breathable one. For keeping sunlight and uv off they are great however they have risks. The perfect world is to keep the sun off it with it being able to breath in a garage, lean to, or portable garage. Make sure the cover is tight but I would remove the cover once in a while to let the moisture dry and clean the junk that can get under the cover on the edges. That can really ruin the paint in a hurry. Nice truck but I've done all the scenarios with covers and been burned with them. Keep after it..
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #7

Mmmmm punter froze. Sorry for the double post.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Mmmmm punter froze. Sorry for the double post.
Its all good. I appreciate your input. I was looking at the Covercraft Weathersheild HP.

We definately don't want to ruin the paint. If it is a bad idea to use a cover outside in the winter months, then I may talk him it of it and come up with another solution. The truck is parked at the lakehouse 1.5 hours away. We could store the jetskis at the warehouse, but it would be more of a hassle and the garage would be slam packed with the truck and boat and everything else. He is kicking himself for not building a 3 car garage
Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
Its all good. I appreciate your input. I was looking at the Covercraft Weathersheild HP.

We definately don't want to ruin the paint. If it is a bad idea to use a cover outside in the winter months, then I may talk him it of it and come up with another solution. The truck is parked at the lakehouse 1.5 hours away. We could store the jetskis at the warehouse, but it would be more of a hassle and the garage would be slam packed with the truck and boat and everything else. He is kicking himself for not building a 3 car garage
Never enough garage space. My boys paint got ruined on his Monte Carlo due to a moisture problem with car cover. I made the mistake years ago of not pulling the cover once in a while and we paid the price in one winter.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Glamour Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Never enough garage space. My boys paint got ruined on his Monte Carlo due to a moisture problem with car cover. I made the mistake years ago of not pulling the cover once in a while and we paid the price in one winter.

How often is once in a while in your opinion? I don't know if we could make it up there often to check on it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Garage in a box--best bet!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I leave a cover on the Mustang during the winter.

It's waxed before the cover goes on, it ends up filthy by the time it comes off in the spring. It's not good to leave on for extended periods of time, likewise not good for regular use as it can scratch the paint.

I would recommend a quality wax and call it a day.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #14

Quote:

How often is once in a while in your opinion? I don't know if we could make it up there often to check on it.
That's why I posted. If you have a lot of temp variance then you would need to do it like every couple of weeks and let it sit in the sun for a day. If its like cold cold for a month with no warm up or humidity variance then you could leave it on longer. The problem is moisture between the cover and paint. Even a breathable one can hold moisture if there is snow on the cover and then it warms up and melts and freezes. Not being around is the problem. I'm just offering my insight and not trying to sway you but letting the truck paint breath and dry is the important thing.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Langfordd is on a distinguished road
Langfordd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am going to be ordering a cover for my Dad's '95 GMC Sierra for his birthday. It is his baby, but unfortunately it sits outside all winter while the water toys sit in the garage.

It is a very clean truck, don't mind the bird shit on the mirrow

I have never used a cover, and would like to have some opinions on what to look for: brands, material, etc.
I recommend the Covercraft Technalon Evolution. I own one and love it. Check out CoverQuest.com very reasonable price.