Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

So Chrysler finally offered a Diesel for the Cherokee

Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
speeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Andres
speeddemon2588's Tacoma Gallery
So Chrysler finally offered a Diesel for the Cherokee

FINALLY! It's the begging of a new era....I hope. The Grand cherokee will have the Fiat 3.0 oil burner with 240 hp and 420lb-ft of torque. I hope this inspires the folks at Toyota. I think the clincher will be Nissan choosing a Cummins for the 2014 Titan.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/2...ate/#continued
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
"3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 that Chrysler expects will deliver 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. Owners can expect 21 miles per gallon in the city and 30 on the highway, and the model features a 7,400-pound tow rating to go with its leg-crossing cruising range of up to 730 miles on a single tank."

Sounds good to me
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Whos going to be the first to put smoke stacks on a jeep?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I've seen a few Libertys in the past with diesel engines but I think they were imports. I wouldn't have thought that the Grand Cherokee would be the one to get the diesel in the US first.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds badass, I'm currently in a golf TDI and the fuel economy is oh so nice
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
There's been Diesels in Jeeps since 2005.

They're just coming back. The old one was a Blu Tech from Benz. It's very nice.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Cbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sebastian
Cbass38's Tacoma Gallery
weve done the diesel in the liberty and cherokee for a while.. they are cool,but not the most fun to work on.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
speeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Andres
speeddemon2588's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
There's been Diesels in Jeeps since 2005.

They're just coming back. The old one was a Blu Tech from Benz. It's very nice.
Wow I had no idea. I'd rather have the Benz 3.0. Looks like it had terrible mileage though.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I might consider this as my next vehicle but it would depend on how much the diesel option is. It's usually a 5k option and if you factor that with the price of diesel over a 5 yr period. You aren't saving any money on fuel with the increased mileage.

My brother has a landscaping company and all his trucks are dodge diesels. I swear everytime I talk to him he's running one into the shop. They are just plagued with issues. He has a megacab with duallys and the alternator caught on fire the other day for no reason. So I would be skeptical about anything Chrysler. That and the plant workers caught on camera smokign weed and drinking on their break were all working on the new cherokee.

Aside from that I wish diesel SUV's were more common over here. The 14 Audi Q5 will have a diesel option as well.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I was under the impression that the diesel that was offered briefly in the Jeep Liberty was incredibly shitty. So shitty in fact that they quit offering it.

This new engine being offered sounds fantastic though. Hope it's a winner.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I was under the impression that the diesel that was offered briefly in the Jeep Liberty was incredibly shitty. So shitty in fact that they quit offering it.

This new engine being offered sounds fantastic though. Hope it's a winner.
Had a friend with the diesel in his jeep(06?), kept losing power to random cylinders. When it worked it was very nice with lots of power, but that was about never.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds consistent with what I heard about them. I never owned one so I can't comment from personal experience.

I'm always happy when there's more diesels hitting the market. Partially because I think there is a LOT to be gained with diesel as a fuel but also because it keeps the gasoline engine designers on their toes
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Sounds consistent with what I heard about them. I never owned one so I can't comment from personal experience.

I'm always happy when there's more diesels hitting the market. Partially because I think there is a LOT to be gained with diesel as a fuel but also because it keeps the gasoline engine designers on their toes

jdmcq just got one a few months ago.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Those have been out
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
They're putting an 8speed transmission in all Cherokees as well. Anything older than the 14 model just became pretty much worthless. They had a 5 speed and weren't getting that great MPG for the V6.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
Sounds badass, I'm currently in a golf TDI and the fuel economy is oh so nice

yea we had a Jetta TDI, but the 40MPG didnt justtify the extra $0.75/gallon fuel costs! I wish they were closer in price.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I bought used
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
I bought used

i mean gas prices....lol
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #19

Well yeah that too, but most people don't buy a diesel because of the 4-5k premium of that engine option, on top of the higher fuel price.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Membor
Cowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura about

Name: Luke
Cowboyz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
"3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 that Chrysler expects will deliver 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. Owners can expect 21 miles per gallon in the city and 30 on the highway, and the model features a 7,400-pound tow rating to go with its leg-crossing cruising range of up to 730 miles on a single tank."

Sounds good to me

When I asked a local Toyota Dealer he said diesel technology is old technology and they dont ever plan on using it. I just dont understand how an engine with more HP, Torque, towing capacity, and MPG is a bad thing?