Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Gas leaking from fuel line in my Ford Ranger. I really need your help folks!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Cabin Fever is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Cabin Fever's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Gas leaking from fuel line in my Ford Ranger. I really need your help folks!

Guys,

I'm in serious need of your help and I don't know any other way to put it. I let my sister borrow my 1995 4 banger Ford Ranger for about a week. To make a long story short, when I drove it home I could smell a really strong gas odor so I pulled into a gas station and noticed gas pouring out of from what looked like the fuel filter area right under the driver's side.

Anyway, it took another 5 gallons to get home and I later crawled under and took a look. It looks like someone grabbed the fuel line and tried to unsuccessfully pull it out of the fuel filter by hand. I could literally see the imprint of the person's hand where they grabbed the line. They had pulled the line so hard that it crimped and split which is why gas was leaking like a water hose.

Anyway, I had my brother take a look and he cut off the splayed section of the fuel line and reconnected it with 8 separate clamps. That worked fine for about 3 days and now the line is leaking again. It's not nearly as bad as before, but it's still a pretty heavy drip. What steps can I take from here to repair my fuel line for good? I'm really in a bind here folks.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Replace the fuel line

Take it to a shop and have it done right
Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
As Monkey said, I see 2 options. Either buy the oem line and replace it, or have a shop add a new section of line off the filter. They should be able to flare the tubes and everything necessary to prevent leaks. It leaks because that's a high pressure line not made for house and clamps.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Would a fuel line repair kit do any good at this point?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
replace the line
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Replace the line and this a Tacoma forum not a Ranger forum derp!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
uh oh....
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
and this is the general automotive section.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
No...me no have no more lemon pledge
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
this vvvvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
to the op, i would just replace the line like stated above
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
agreed
Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
My bad I just joined the forum a few days ago
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
Any idea how much it would cost to replace the entire line? Also, I'm guessing a new fuel line can only be ordered through a dealer, right?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
i would think a hardware store would ? the one i work at does.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
Any idea how much it would cost to replace the entire line? Also, I'm guessing a new fuel line can only be ordered through a dealer, right?
Try Napa , Auto Zone, PepBoys or any other large chain of auto parts supply chain. You can also try finding a ranger of the same generation at a junk yard that you can take
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Try Napa , Auto Zone, PepBoys or any other large chain of auto parts supply chain. You can also try finding a ranger of the same generation at a junk yard that you can take
I would be very cautious about a junk yard. Check the line very very carefully. Rats or anything. I don't know much about fuel lines, but you might be better off having a mechanic change it. You would have to discharged it I believe, and if you mess up, you don't want to deal with leaking gas, in addition to a $100 tow to a shop.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Oh lol I just watched a video on replacing the fuel filter on a ranger and it looks like they use rubber hoses instead of metal lines like a Taco. Ghey and cheap. If yours has rubber, I guess you could get one of these kits and try it. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...cid=productads
Just do a good job of clamping it tight.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonantel View Post
I would be very cautious about a junk yard. Check the line very very carefully. Rats or anything. I don't know much about fuel lines, but you might be better off having a mechanic change it. You would have to discharged it I believe, and if you mess up, you don't want to deal with leaking gas, in addition to a $100 tow to a shop.
Don't know for other states but in California all junkyards are required to dispose of all fluids from the vehicle before its available to the public. Including the fuel and AC systems. And for his year ranger its hard line up to and after the fuel filter fitting..the fittings are hard plastic with clips

Edit: didn't know what you meant about discharging the line untill now..doesn't matter now if its leaking, pretty much discharging with it leaking
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Oh lol I just watched a video on replacing the fuel filter on a ranger and it looks like they use rubber hoses instead of metal lines like a Taco. Ghey and cheap. If yours has rubber, I guess you could get one of these kits and try it. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...cid=productads
Just do a good job of clamping it tight.
That's the exact kit that I just bought at Advance for $22.00. At this point I'm just waiting for my brother to come over and install it for me. If this doesn't work then I'm screwed. I asked this same question to a Ford mechanic on another forum and he said that Ford doesn't even sell the entire replacement fuel line as they almost never go bad and he also gave me a link to the Dorman repair kit. He said that it's basically the "official" repair kit for Ford fuel lines and that it's OE (original equipment). I'll keep you guys posted as to how this works out.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
I'm not sure if anyone still cares, but here's a quick update anyway. My brother installed the kit on Monday and so far I haven't seen any leaks as of yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My Ranger has over 300,000 miles and every single thing on the truck is original except the EGR valve, thermostat and heater control valve. You know that old saying "drive it until the wheels fall off"? Well, that's pretty much the motto I stick to. That is even though the old tired truck is barely making 75 HP these days if I'm lucky and that's no joke folks. It takes me over one mile just to get up to 55 mph, but at least she runs.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Glad it worked out for you. Probably quite a bit cheaper than getting new lines custom fabbed.