Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

QUICK DRAIN VALVES - Fumoto VS Dorman

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
undecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Adam
undecided's Tacoma Gallery
QUICK DRAIN VALVES - Fumoto VS Dorman

I haven't really seen a discussion about quick drain valves so I would like to get everyone's input on them. The purpose is to inform TW members about the product, good or bad, without making it a pissing contest. I think there is already a thread on that.... Back to the matter at hand! Quick Drain Valves- Go!

Do you have one? What are your thoughts on form, fit, and function? How do you feel about having a drain valve installed and offroading? Do you worry about breaking it and losing your oil while driving? Is it worth the monies? (the price point between the two are completely on two opposite sides of the spectrum.) Finally, if you don't have one, would you buy one? Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts!....
Fumoto ($30)
http://www.qwikvalve.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
Dorman ($7)
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...363&cc=1432865
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I like my fumoto. There was a group buy on them a while back; I had just purchased mine before the GB though. Works good and I got the one with the nipple to attach a hose. Quick and easy drain without spills and it still sits up above my skid plate so I dont worry about it dragging on anything. No experience with the other one.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
they are 100% OK if you install your own screen. small metal flake, if one
happens to be in your pan, or even a small piece of FIPG, can jam these and start a leak.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
I like the thoughts behind them but the only one that I had seen was the Fumoto and I wouldnt buy one because I have scrape marks on my drain bolt.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
I like the thoughts behind them but the only one that I had seen was the Fumoto and I wouldnt buy one because I have scrape marks on my drain bolt.
An ATO ifs skid will fix that for you
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I don't change my oil frequently enough to justify the cost...
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
An ATO ifs skid will fix that for you
Most of the mounting point on the skids are gone due to the cross member being chopped off for my bumper and skid already there...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
undecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
they are 100% OK if you install your own screen. small metal flake, if one
happens to be in your pan, or even a small piece of FIPG, can jam these and start a leak.
so where would you install the screen?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #9

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I don't change my oil frequently enough to justify the cost...
I was thinking about that point. I average around 22k/year. Would $30 and the ease of changing my oil 4-5 times a year be worth it? Its a toss up in my book.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
I was thinking about that point. I average around 22k/year. Would $30 and the ease of changing my oil 4-5 times a year be worth it? Its a toss up in my book.
That's my reservation with it also. The drain plug isn't really a big deal, I don't like dealing with the filter.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
I run this fumoto one:
http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f103n-valve.html

I have a permanent hose attached to it so that it drains through my access hole in my IFS skid.
Very convenient and it's nice not making a huge mess every time I change my oil.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #12

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
I run this fumoto one:
http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f103n-valve.html

I have a permanent hose attached to it so that it drains through my access hole in my IFS skid.
Very convenient and it's nice not making a huge mess every time I change my oil.
So I am asuming you can reach in through the side of the skid and open the valve?

Does the nipple sit directly center in the drain hole on the IFS skid? I saw fumoto came out with a version that has a shorter nipple.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
The access hole is directly beneath the drain valve.
I have room to reach my hands right in there and turn the valve.