Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

How Soon Would You Starting Modding a New Vehicle?

View Poll Results: When buying a new vehicle, I start modifying it...
As soon as I bring it home from the dealership. 45 48.39%
After I've put a few miles on it... to make sure it works. 38 40.86%
After the warranty is complete expired. 10 10.75%
Never... I'm too darn scared that the dealership will void my warranty! 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
How Soon Would You Starting Modding a New Vehicle?

I'm going to be purchasing a new Tacoma this Spring and I've already got a list of modifications for it that's about a mile long (and I blame all of you on the Tacoma World forums for making the list so long! ) At the moment, I plan on starting the modifications as soon as I bring the truck home. For me, "modifications" means color matching the bumpers and various parts as well as significant suspension work (lowering in my case).

So my question is this... am I crazy if I start modding a brand new truck? Would you (or did you)? Some people would want to drive the truck for a few weeks, months, or maybe even a few years to 'make sure' they didn't get a lemon and won't have to take it back to the dealer. Part of my brain is telling me this is what I should do (i.e., wait a little while and put a few miles on before the mods begin.) Some might not even think about doing major modifications until the warranty is up.

The other part of my brain is thinking that once I've signed the paperwork and I drive off the dealer lot, it would pretty much take an act of God in order for the dealer to take that truck back, regardless of the defects that may show-up. I've read many posts on these forums about what I think were manufacturer defects on trucks and in pretty much every case, the dealer just tried to fix the defect but never gave the owner a new truck. Therefore, what's the point of waiting to do modifications if you're pretty much stuck with the truck you buy?

What do you do? Mod right away or wait? (and why?)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
I wait six months for major modifications. Minor stuff on the other hand. As soon as possible.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
I think the earliest I've ever done a serious mod was about 3-4 months after purchase.

I'd personally hold off on major mods until the engine is broken in (about 500-1k miles), but smaller/cosmetic stuff probably wouldn't be a big deal to do sooner.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech
Name: paul
thelivestone's Tacoma Gallery
I tint dem windows asap.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
If you already have ideas I'd just start as soon as money allows.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
WVHellbilly is on a distinguished road

WVHellbilly's Tacoma Gallery
As soon as possible for little stuff, maybe wait a little while on suspension ect.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I should probably mention that part of the driving force behind me wanting to starting do modifications right away is that I plan on buying a 2wd regular cab Tacoma, and I think the stock truck looks incredibly dorky (Sorry to offend some of you, but that's my opinion!) My current truck (Gen 1 Taco) that I will sell to get the new truck looks really nice and I can't bare the thought of having to wait several months before I can have a nice looking truck again!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
berg2065 is on a distinguished road
berg2065's Tacoma Gallery
For cosmetic things....right away. For drivetrain and mechanical mods, I would drive the truck a few thousand miles to get the feel of that particular truck and then move forward on those mods.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Useful Idiot
thebigsmit is on a distinguished road

Name: Brent
thebigsmit's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered my lift for my taco before I even bought it. Started installing the lift the second I got home. Don't wait. Go for it man.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
When I have enough money to buy a brand new vehicle, I will probably budget lots of parts in with the price. Then have them before the vehicle.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
when it's paid off. if paid for in cash, then start in. that's the way i do it, at least
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by berg2065 View Post
For drivetrain and mechanical mods, I would drive the truck a few thousand miles to get the feel of that particular truck and then move forward on those mods.
Good point. I feel I've made the mistake in the past by throwing new swaybars and coilovers on a vehicle all the same time, right after I bought it. By doing that, I couldn't really tell if I 'improved' anything because I barely knew what the vehicle handled like before the change (Although the big grin on my face after test driving with the suspension usually means 'I dun good'!)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Do the major suspension work when the truck is new. Modding is far less enjoyable when the bolts have rusted.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Modding is far less enjoyable when the bolts have rusted.
Also a great point! I live in Wisconsin, and rust is the precise reason I'm not buying a new truck until Spring. I don't want to subject a brand new vehicle to our salty roads Putting new suspension on is certainly easier when you don't have to use "the fire wrench" on every bolt
Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
I really dislike the stock look, so I begin buying parts even before the deal is done.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
when it's paid off. if paid for in cash, then start in. that's the way i do it, at least
Personally, I would be too bored with the truck to care by then.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
Personally, I would be too bored with the truck to care by then.
well you do realise, if you take all the extra cash you end up blowing on it, instead of buying mods, add it to your monthly payment, it'd be paid off quicker, then you'd be able to mod it even more because you're saving a monthly payment everyt month. I'm a banker for trade, so I know most don't think like me....then again tho, I've also paid for all my vehicles in cash.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Bought a lift before I owned the truck
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I lifted mine within two months of buying it. Stock suspension was way too soft. I put the rock sliders on at about eight months of ownership. It's all up to what you feel comfortable with. I bought the truck knowing what I was going to do and had everything researched and planned out beforehand.