Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Is it Legal...

Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Is it Legal...

I currently have a Washington Capitals vanity license plate from Virginia.

If I was just move to Texas for example where I can't get a Washington Capitals vanity plate would I be able to buy a Texas license plate that basic and plain and add the decal myself as an example.

This isn't exactly what I want to do just easier to explain it this way can you customize the license plate your self as long as you don't affect the letters/numbers put on the license plate itself
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
FrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
FrankNasti's Tacoma Gallery
I have read somewhere that it is illegal to have any colored portion of the plate covered in Texas. That being said, even the trim pieces you put around your plate would be illegal, but I've never heard of it being enforced. I guess as long as the decal wasn't to big and didn't cover up the numbers/letters, you shouldn't be stopped unless the LEO doesn't like the Caps. I'm also no lawyer, but I'll try to find the story or law for you.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Transpo Code
Sec. 504.945. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED LICENSE PLATE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a license plate that:
(1) is issued for a different motor vehicle;
(2) is issued for the vehicle under any other motor vehicle law other than by the department;
(3) is assigned for a registration period other than the registration period in effect;
(4) is fictitious;
(5) has blurring or reflective matter that significantly impairs the readability of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered or the letters or numbers of the license plate number at any time;
(6) has an attached illuminated device or sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; .....
Looks like #6 (in bold) most closely applies to your question. If you don't interfere with the labeling of the plate, seems to be legal. But like so many other things - can garner you extra attention, even if you are in the right.

Are you moving for personal vice PCS reasons?? Why not keep your tag where it is now?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
FrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
FrankNasti's Tacoma Gallery
I found this too.

SB 439 makes it illegal to add reflective material, lights, emblems or anything else that changes the color of the license plate or makes it difficult to read the letters on the license plate. The name of the state where the vehicle is registered must be visible.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo.../pr081903b.htm
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
03DBLCABTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Check myplates.com they may have something that will work for you.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
X2... But will cost a metric ass ton of monies...
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
I am getting deployed an when I get back I will be PcSing. Hopefully to TX, AZ or NM. I saw a plate today that looked custom and was just curious. If I could an all white plate could I make customize it myself as long as my letters/numbers are still legible.