Originally Posted by Texas Transpo Code
Sec. 504.945. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED LICENSE PLATE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a license plate that:
(1) is issued for a different motor vehicle;
(2) is issued for the vehicle under any other motor vehicle law other than by the department;
(3) is assigned for a registration period other than the registration period in effect;
(4) is fictitious;
(5) has blurring or reflective matter that significantly impairs the readability of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered or the letters or numbers of the license plate number at any time;
(6) has an attached illuminated device or sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; .....
Looks like #6 (in bold) most closely applies to your question. If you don't interfere with the labeling of the plate, seems to be legal. But like so many other things - can garner you extra attention, even if you are in the right.
Are you moving for personal vice PCS reasons?? Why not keep your tag where it is now?