LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

How should one deal with brake failure?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #21
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I have no issue with small economical cars , not sure why anyone would
Agreed. Putting more miles on my Fit helps offset the Tacoma's lower fuel economy.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #22
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
This thread has taken a wild turn so I'll roll with it.
Prius has no room? My wife's V
How should one deal with brake failure?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362137185.080469.jpg
Every bit as much room as the Passat wagon she came out of.

No HP? While you won't be passing a lot of people, you will pass a shitload of gas stations. This was not my best trip in her car, but without even trying, we average 40 mpg. More than twice my Tacoma?? I'd say it's worth losing the fun factor of driving once in a while. How should one deal with brake failure?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362137436.852066.jpg

If you can't read that, it's a 54 mile trip at 57mpg. Less than a gallon of gas when the Taco would have used 3 gallons.

Sometimes, when I'm driving it and the gas motor turns off, I drive really slowly past people, put the window down and say, "I'm a spaceship".
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #23
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
I lost the brakes on a 1973 Nova I had.

I was going along and everyone had stopped up ahead (couple hundred feet) for a red light (around 15 cars ahead of me). I hit the brakes and nothing. I had no pedal, right to the floor.

Now that couple hundred feet had gone down to tens of feet and I was about to rear end the person in front of me.

I couldnt go around them to the left cause it was a two lane street with on coming traffic.

I couldnt go around to the right ...were parked cars in front of houses that had driveways.

So rather then rear end someone ...and deal with everything that comes with that, I yanked that wheel to the right and squeezed the car on an angle in between two of the parked cars and smashed into like a 7" tall curb BABOOM!!! like i was off-roading.

the thing goes flying up the curb, grounding out the back end and it took so much of my momentum that the e-brake did the rest and i stopped half way in some guys driveway and on his grass.

i fully expected to hit a car, a mailbox a fence or a house. But whatever I hit it woulda been 10x better than hitting someone in the back at a red light. Law suit, injury, insurance hikes, points, ect ect ect. Hitting someones garden gnome is not so bad.

This was all at approx 20 mph.

If i was driving this truck and there was no stuntman to get in front of me and stop me from being a runaway truck
I would have down shifted as much as possible ... repairs cost omney but flyign off a mountain at 40 mph is more expensive.
jammed the e-brake and hoped it did something and then

either A) looked for a spot to run off like the first guy did when the truck was beeping
B) put it into the wall (the high side of the mountain)