1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How should one deal with brake failure?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by jonmyrlebailey, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Mar 1, 2013 at 6:45 AM
    packfan88

packfan88 Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    I lost the brakes on a 1973 Nova I had.

I was going along and everyone had stopped up ahead (couple hundred feet) for a red light (around 15 cars ahead of me). I hit the brakes and nothing. I had no pedal, right to the floor.

Now that couple hundred feet had gone down to tens of feet and I was about to rear end the person in front of me.

I couldnt go around them to the left cause it was a two lane street with on coming traffic.

I couldnt go around to the right ...were parked cars in front of houses that had driveways.

So rather then rear end someone ...and deal with everything that comes with that, I yanked that wheel to the right and squeezed the car on an angle in between two of the parked cars and smashed into like a 7" tall curb BABOOM!!! like i was off-roading.

the thing goes flying up the curb, grounding out the back end and it took so much of my momentum that the e-brake did the rest and i stopped half way in some guys driveway and on his grass.

i fully expected to hit a car, a mailbox a fence or a house. But whatever I hit it woulda been 10x better than hitting someone in the back at a red light. Law suit, injury, insurance hikes, points, ect ect ect. Hitting someones garden gnome is not so bad.

This was all at approx 20 mph.

If i was driving this truck and there was no stuntman to get in front of me and stop me from being a runaway truck
    I would have down shifted as much as possible ... repairs cost omney but flyign off a mountain at 40 mph is more expensive.
    jammed the e-brake and hoped it did something and then

either A) looked for a spot to run off like the first guy did when the truck was beeping
    B) put it into the wall (the high side of the mountain)

Products Discussed in

To Top