Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Girlfriends car is having problems..

Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Girlfriends car is having problems..

So my gf has a honda passport, dunno what year. Early 2000s probably. It has been having problems starting and it has died on her when driving about ten times now. SHe has taken it to get looked at like three times now. Had the alternator replaced once and it still shuts off on her and won't start. I haven't looked at it yet but it happened again tonight, and her and her friend had to push it down the road to her house. First time the battery cable wasn't on all the way, then she got the alternator replaced. Now I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow and see what is wrong. She doesn't have any money to put into it and can't afford to trade it in for something different. Some advice before I go and fuck with it would be great. If you have any questions Ill ask her.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
def sounds electrical. possibly ignition circuit? check the battery... what engine does that have in it?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Do a battery load test with a carbon pile.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

She doesnt even know what year it is lol. All I know is it is a v6. She says the lights wont come on when she turns the key. My buddy works at ford and I may have him come look at it with me. She cant afford to put anymore money into it at all so I'm hoping it isn't too bad.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Very nice how much?

She thinks the battery is dead right now, so that might be why the lights won't turn on. I would know a lot more if I looked at it myself but this is just info I'm getting from her. Her and cars should just stay away from eachother lol
Old 03-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
She doesnt even know what year it is lol. All I know is it is a v6. She says the lights wont come on when she turns the key. My buddy works at ford and I may have him come look at it with me. She cant afford to put anymore money into it at all so I'm hoping it isn't too bad.
i believe its going to be the 3 liter v6. i will put money on it being the ignition or battery.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
Very nice how much?

That sounds right. I don't know enough about cars to know what would be wrong with it other then the alternator, starter, or battery. She can't even afford to have people look at it anymore. She has replaced the alternator battery and rear bumper all in the last month or so
Old 03-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #8

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
That sounds right. I don't know enough about cars to know what would be wrong with it other then the alternator, starter, or battery. She can't even afford to have people look at it anymore. She has replaced the alternator battery and rear bumper all in the last month or so
wouldnt be the starter if its dying while she is driving it/it cranks over when charged...
Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
wouldnt be the starter if its dying while she is driving it/it cranks over when charged...
Yeah thats why I didn't think it was the starter. The alternator just got replaced (with a used one) so I didn't think it would keep doing this. I'm pretty sure the battery is brand new but I don't see how it would be dying while she is driving, unless the connections aren't on right again. That's about the most knowledge I have on what it could be.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #10
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
iac sensor?? started and dying
Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #11
Very nice how much?

Okay so the car is a 98. I have been googling common issues and these are a few I found

Check ignition coil for cracks
replace ecm
loose wire connections in engine bay or under dash

I don't think the ignition coil being cracked would cause it to die when already running... so that's out. I read a couple about the ecu board being cracked. I'm not sure where it is located but I guess if you tap it, you will know if it is cracked if your car is running? Ill check the wiring and fuses. Also going to first check the battery, and make sure the alternator is secured correctly. My mom got hers replaced and they forgot a couple bolts, causing it to do the same thing and not start half the time.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
battery voltage

alt voltage

voltage drop starting circuit
voltage drop charging circuit

start there
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #14
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
battery voltage

alt voltage

voltage drop starting circuit
voltage drop charging circuit

start there
You and your voltage drops.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #15
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Tells you a lot lol and it's fundamental to the rest of the electrical system.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #16
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had bought my ex wife a 01 Honda Passport V6 4x4 auto when we were still married. It had all sorts of BS problems, and electrical was one of them. The MAP sensor would get fouled up bad, make the thing run like crap, and die on her. Also the intake manifold leaked, the flex joint on the exhaust rusted away, the rear trailing arm mounts rusted away, had to have transmission rebuilt, never figured out what the deal with the wipers were, but they didn't have enough power to wipe all the way. The window and door switches quit working and the sunroof broke. But I tell ya, the paint stayed shiny. Those Passports/Rodeos, were horrible vehicles, that's why Honda dropped them from their line up. I would suggest to check all the ground connections to make sure that they are all in good condition, pull the MAP sensor and clean it with MAF cleaner(It's on top of the manifold, back toward the fire wall, on the driver side), if there is an aftermarket radio, make sure that the wires for it are in good order, shore up any other problems it has, then sell the POS. Trust me, sell it. Good luck, and also check the recall info for those rear trailing arm mounts, that may be a good way to get rid of it too.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #17
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Dunno, but sounds like the computer is going south. Buddys car did this, crap out while running, computer would shut down fuel delivery now and again. Was a bitch to figure that one out.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Clean the battery terminals and make sure they are tight. Might be shorting out somewhere when going over a bump or something.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
Some Hondas were having problems with the ignition switch. Jiggle the key in the ignition while running kind if rough and see if it shuts off. If that doesn't work, grab the wires on the back side of the ignition cylinder and give them a jiggle.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
I am the one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Tells you a lot lol and it's fundamental to the rest of the electrical system.
I agree I get a kick out of how you always suggest it haha